on 18 January 2018
I absolutely loved this book. It’s phenomenal in size and written beautifully, by a writer who seems to care about prose. In fact, I don’t think I’ve really enjoyed a book as good as this one for a long time. I can’t wait for his next one, which I think comes out in a month or two. Five stars, without question.
on 8 January 2018
This book is toooooooo long. I read it all but it could be more concise. Overall, I found a lot of its central tenets not convincingly put, but I am still sure that Pinker is right we are not as savage as we once were (but still room for huge improvement).
on 21 October 2017
Top read. A must for all history and politics buffs. Bill Gates was right-on to make this one of his favourite reads....and share the discovery.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2017
My son bed time favourtite. He loves this book!
on 11 April 2017
An attitude-changing book!
on 15 August 2017
Thought-provoking, challenging, authoritative.
on 4 December 2017
Excellent book, but the Kindle version is a disappointment since all the graphs are missing
on 14 November 2017
It's a good book
on 20 June 2017
Perfect!
on 31 January 2015
Absolutely required reading. This is a big, big book, (on many levels) and took me a while to get through. But it is astonishing and life-affirming.

Now, many people have reviewed this book, the great and the good have recommended it, so you don't really need me to add my personal take on it to be honest. But I feel strongly enough about it, that if my personal take convinces a few people to read it, then I will.

So why read this book ?

1) The news. The news is full of horror story followed by horror story of violence. If you relied on the news you would be driven to think that the modern world is going to hell in a hand basket. It is depressing and bleak, and well you would be forgiven for thinking that there is hardly any point to life. We are a doomed species, riven with violence and aggression. Well this book will change your perspective. There is hope. We are getting better. The past was way, way worse.

2) Rights. Slow to come, but once they come, irreversible. Human rights, children's rights, women's rights, gay rights, animal rights. You will of course always get the savage upstart movements trying to reverse this. They will not win - they are the wrong side of history.

3) Yes we are flawed. But we are also an inspired species, with many wonderful people working hard to improve life, and save life on this planet. Read this book and decide to be one of them, rather than submit to despair. Be part of the continuum that has and is improving life. Sometimes hope needs a big nudge. This book provides a big nudge.

Books can change lives. This one will.