Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2006
I am a big fan of P.J Tracy, whenever I buy one of thier books I just can't put them down, so I reserve a weekend and to myself and settle down for some solid reading. I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book, and booked the weekend. However this book failed to deliver on the very high standards they normally deliver. I think in this book they failed miserably. The book is too full of "coincidences", and to be honest it is kind of disjointed. Which I don't really want to go into as it will give the story line away.

It is still a fairly good read, but no where near the quality of the others.
on 18 January 2008
A so-so beginning gathers pace until the book is speeding along like an arthritic sloth before coming to a grinding halt in what has to be the most pathetic and lazy finale in a so-called thriller that I've ever read. I can only assume that the quotes on the back were all preceded by "This is not" because in my opinion this is not "outrageously suspenseful", has no "devilish twists" (or even any slightly impish twists for that matter) and as for the "nail-biting finish" forget it!
on 26 September 2006
I was really looking forward to this book, having hugely enjoyed the previous three by this mother/daughter writing team. For the most part it lived up to my expectations...until the last couple of chapters where sadly the excellent plot suddenly begins to fizzle out, leaving us with no proper conclusion. Worth reading...just a little unsatisfactory if you like a nicely tied up end to your crime fiction.
on 8 September 2006
As a P J Tracy fan I got this book when it came out after a great read of the 3 previous books, especially Dead Run my favourite. The books starts off nicely and does not take long to turn into a "Tracy page turner" I even missed my stop on the London Underground while going to work because I was so engrossed into it.

However, the book slowly turns into a book that you are waiting for to get better expecting something interesting to happen which almost never does.

I noticed a few plot holes with errors in geography and timing that left me disappointed. one of which is the time to of the characters have known each other, so obviously incorrect. These point to my suspicion that the book was rushed.

This medium paced book lacks the action and heart pounding moments from Dead Run. The main character from the first book (Want to play) hardly features which only leads me to believe that P J Tracy may move away from the monkey wrench theme.

Its hardly worth the read if you've not read at lasts one on the previously P J Tracy books, let alone all 3 of them.

Is it worth the cost? Yes I think so, but wait for the paperback to come out if, like me, you're not a hardback book fan.
on 15 October 2006
Though, in saying that this did take a slightly different angle and bring detectives Gino and Magozzi more into the limelight, with the Monkeywrench crew providing a basically 'peripheral' supportive role.

Rookie sheriff Iris Rikker has the start from hell in her new role, with horrendous snow-storms; bodies; murderers and a semi-hostile police force to contend with. Gino and Magozzi are a great team and there was some well placed humour throughout.

Sadly although angle on the subject was excellent; pace and 'twists' superb - if fizzled out to a kind of nothing end, where I did wonder if some of the characters would surface again..... in a later book.

Saying that I enjoyed it overall but it didn't have quite the punch their previous work has had.
on 22 September 2006
Having read the first three PJ Tracy books and LOVED them (particularly Dead Run) I was really looking forward to reading Snow Blind and ordered it weeks in advance of its release date. However, it didnt meet my expectations. The story starts well, the characters are still very strong (sad not to see some more of the Monkeewrench crew) and the idea is great, but the whole thing fails to come together - the book is too short, the ending abrupt and unsatisfactory, and none of the themes amount to anything very much. There are a couple of "jumpy" bits, a few thought provoking issues and Magozzi and Rolzeath are, once again, very "real" and very amusing, but the whole book just appears to have been written in a huge rush in order to cash in on the success of the previous books, which is a massive shame and which does mean that I, as well as many other people, will not be as hugely anticipatory of any future releases by this Mother and Daughter team.

It is worth a read, but wait for the paperback.
on 22 February 2010
Previous reviewers have said it all really. The two main characters grated on me and were so lacking in personality as to be interchangeable - the only time I could tell them apart was at the mention of either girlfriend or wife - and their dialogue was such americanized moviespeak. The minor character of the rookie country sheriff was a far better character.
on 1 July 2011
This is the first P.J Tracy effort that I've come across, and I have to say that I agree with most of the other reviewers in respect of how disappointing it was. This is a shame, because I could see the potential for what this thriller MIGHT have been.
Set in a snow-bound Minnesota, the plot revolves around the efforts of a couple of city cops, and the newly-elected female sheriff of a small town, to identify the killer/s of a series of cops who are killed, then posed as snowmen. The city cops are characters straight out of Ed McBain's 87th precinct, and comparisons of the female sheriff with Marge Gundersson (from the film "Fargo") are so obvious that the authors feel compelled to point this out themselves through the mouth of one of the city cops.
The main problem, for me, was the massive illogicality of the Bitterroot establishment. This was a mini-town created by and for women so abused that they are in fear of their lives, and who have established this mini-Shangri-la to live in safety well away from any abusive menfolk. It is fully self-sufficient and no-one but its inhabitants are aware of its existence - it reminded me of The Village in the TV series "The Prisoner".
But COME ON! How could such an establishment remain anonymous? The abused women that populate it are draw into it by a combination of word-of-mouth and evangelising work by the town's inhabitants, so how it could remain a secret beats me. And how is it financed? What do the inhabitants live on? It is like a mini-Fort Knox in terms of security for its inhabitants, but WHO PAYS FOR IT ALL???
The climax - and I use the word guardedly - is such a disappointment that I felt cheated, as if the time I'd spent reading the book had been wasted.
It's fairly well-written - although the whole Monkeewrench thing was put in with an expectation that the reader already knows all about it, and as a new reader I was frankly baffled by it for quite a while - and I'm prepared to believe that their other books are worth the effort. But it'll be a long time before I try one out, I'm afraid. If you haven't read one of their books before, don't start with this one.
on 16 November 2007
Read this whilst on holiday. It was an impulse buy at the airport and i wish i hadn't bothered. The story was far from original - a couple of grisly murders - and the characters were so predictable. Two hard-nosed, experienced, male city detectives investigate goings on in/around a small, country village whose female sherrif has recently been appointed and is a complete novice. I have not read any other books by this author but was very disapointed with this one.
on 16 October 2007
This book is boring, poorly written & I wasted three hours of my life reading it. Characters are introduced too quickly, so you loose track of who's who & the plot doesn't twist & turn, it just goes off on another tangent completely! By the end of it I really didn't care who did it I just wanted it to be over.
There are so many other good thrillers out there so don't waste your time reading this poop.