on 11 April 2013
I have the kindle version of this and It's staying firmly on my current reading list. I have a pretty rounded knowledge of wildlife and I learned things I didn't know about Hedgehogs in the first few pages. Hugh displays a real love for the mini beasts without being sentimental - he even quotes a recipe published in a UK newspaper for Hedgehog Spagetti Carbonara (I nearly choked on my tea) and jokes about hedgehogs with slightly radioactive tags (used for visual tracking in his initial studies)forming a critical mass....
His sense of humour is quirky and completely in line with mine. I'd dearly like to meet this man and shake his hand.

The book follows his career from the English countryside to the hedgehog cull in the Scottish Islands, hedgehog charities all across the UK, the pet hedgehogs and their fans in the USA to the hunt for Hughes Hedgehog in China.

Read this if you love Hedgehogs and you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much more you know about them afterwards.
on 3 July 2012
This book is why Hugh Warwick is known as the Hedgehog Man. It's a joyous account of the author's eccentric obsession with one of Britain's most endearing wild animals.

He tells a compelling series of stories about how he came to be one of the UK's experts in the ecology and biology of the hedgehog. There are accounts of his days as a student studying the survival rates of hedgehogs released back into the wild after being cared for in wildlife hospitals; of his involvement in the Uist hedgehog cull debate; of the frankly bizarre rituals of American hedgehog pet owners; and of his bonkers quest to find Hugh's Hedgehog (Mesechinus hughi) in China.

The book has a genuine warmth - a glow transmitted from the author's boundless enthusiasm for the animal and all it stands for in his worldview. I feel like I've watched a documentary about them, so vivid are the images cast in my imagination.

This is a great companion to Hugh Warwick's latest book, The Beauty in the Beast, which does for fifteen other British animals what this book does for the hedgehog: wax lyrical about how special they are.

A Book of Joy.
One person found this helpful
on 12 October 2017
A beautiful little book bought as a gift for a friend who now runs a hedgehog charity. So it's obviously persuasive as well as beautifully written.
One person found this helpful
on 22 April 2013
I am wildlife mad and have to say the Hedgehog is right up there as the best little creature in the world (close to Badger who comes second!) This is sublime to read especially if you are as passionate as I am about these adorable little creatures. What can I say about Britain's expert on this small mammal except this book has everything and more than you will ever need to know about the darling of the hedgerows. There were many amazing facts too which I was unaware of so if you, like me need a fix on the Hedgie, read this, it's superb!!
on 13 March 2013
It's hard to find nature books that don't bore you with too much factual information. I stumbled across this book because of the great title, thinking it would be a comical account about one man's hog humping fantasies. Instead I was pleasantly surprised by Warwick's personal, and often witty, account of how he fell in love with hedgehogs.
There's some really nice chapters describing his encounters with the humble hog and some even stranger hedgehog fans from across the road. All in all, I found myself quickly getting into hedgehogs and even doing my bit at the local wildlife centre when it came to feeding up autumn juveniles. This book was a very pleasant read.
on 14 September 2014
This is a lovely practical informative book all about his love of those gorgeous prickly friends. Wish I had been able to read it years ago when I had a hedgehog that would wander in the house looking for scraps of anything. I can always get a hedgehog to uncurl if I pick one up. Wonderful experience.
on 11 January 2016
Bought as a gift for a hedgehog enthusiast who was very pleased with it
on 15 June 2011
Not as good as reviewers suggest. Rather little information about hedgehogs themselves, but too much about the author. A bit of of interesting facts here and there, but I would not buy this book if I knew exactly what's inside.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2017
A fantastic book, well written.
on 19 August 2015
Ver interesting book, it was a good read. It was received in good time and was packaged well.