Thinking, Fast and Slow
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The only criticism I'd level at this book is that the author seems to have aimed at the lay reader but for most people this is probably going to be quite hard going. There are a lot of anecdotal examples which illustrate wonderfully Kahneman's points and show just how we can be manipulated, by our own minds as much as others for what seem like trivial differences in how something is presented. Yet somehow those examples seem to be buried among a lot of detail which for most people will not be relevant.
on 28 August 2015
This book is above my pay grade.

I think I disagree with some of his claims. (For example, I believe that subliminal messages don't have a measurable impact.) But I'm sure if he set his mind to it, he could convince me that he's correct.

I think I learned a lot. Maybe my primitive brain is claiming I learned a lot while my lazy brain lounges on the sofa eating nachos.

Be careful field testing the Feminist Bank Teller scenario with your friends. Just Sayin
on 21 August 2013
After reading Happy at Last: The Miraculous Power of Generosity in Life, Love and Success, I was on the hunt for some detailed information on conscious and unconscious thinking processes. What I found in this book was an instant treasure trove of information and guidance. There are many a ha! Moments and I finished it in two sittings, which, for me (an admittedly slow reader), makes it a blockbuster. If you have any interest in how the mind works this is one for you.
on 20 May 2017
Love it
on 16 April 2014
This is an amazing book, everyone who is concerned about the way people think and make decisions would do well to read it. The author is a Nobel prize-winning statistician and his ideas are generally explained clearly and helpfully, (though not being a statistician myself there were a few figures I couldn't work out). I am still reading it in sections, and as a teacher and member of the church, I am finding nearly all the ideas most illuminating and helpful.
on 12 August 2015
This is a book that is full of insights into human behaviour. I am a professional engineer and although I had often pondered the dichotomy between operating on 'autopilot' and taking an analytical approach to the events that fill our lives, I had no idea of how much psychological research had been carried out into this subject.
I am most impressed with the author's deep knowledge and also by his ability to explain his thinking to the lay person.
on 23 June 2012
I can't really add anything that other reviewers haven't already said, but this really is a brilliant book!

It reveals so much about the way we think, how we process information, how we make mistakes and bad judgments without realising it - it's a real eye-opener.

It's written in a very calm, thorough tone and there's so much to it that you can't read hundreds of pages at once, you have to take your time (or I did anyway!)

But that's not to say it's hard to read - it isn't, it's written in a very approachable way. And the experiments explained throughout are amazing, lots of clever things you can try out on people to demonstrate the way our minds work.

I absolutely recommend this book!
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Daniel Kahneman is an exceptional person. He doesn't just write well, he's one of the foremost thinkers as well. A psychologist, with a Nobel prize for economics?! Wow!
This is a how-to book. It explains firstly HOW we make decisions. Then it looks at how someone could manipulate me by tapping into the way I make decisions so it's an excellent guide for influencers and advertisers as well. Finally it rounds off by guiding me on how to make my own decisions better, ie more in line with what I really want out of life.
So - one of the world's best thinkers
- writing about a really important subject (decision-making)
- and making it accessible to everyone
How could you beat that?
on 2 August 2014
This is an unbelievable book. It confirms and clarifies some observations I have made informally over the years as a statistical analyst and adds a host of others which I had never expected. Without saying so head on, it questions the democratic voting system itself: voters are clearly not "rational" in the accepted sense of the word. For anyone who ever makes a decision, you should read this book. Alas, I believe every word of it!
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Echoing many of the reviews here this is a good 200 page book with some fascinating ideas about perception and decision making. Sadly the last portion of the book feels like it was added on to make up the page count and dilutes the effect.

I had stopped reading it towards the end and forgotten about it if that gives the measure of how poor the end was.

Worth a read for the initial ideas but be prepared not to finish.