on 20 December 2012
My Son, who is 8 years old, has recently become enamoured with the James Bond film franchise since I introduced it to him when I bought the blu ray movie collection.
Since then he has watched most of the films and thoroughly enjoyed them so I thought this series of books would be fun for him.
He read them in a matter of days and thought they were fantastic and I'm happy because the subject matter in the films is sometimes a tad too dark for a pre-teen whilst these books are perfect.
My Son highly recommends them.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 December 2011
My six year old son has recently finished reading Silverfin, in the regular paperback form. I was extremely surprised to see a child so young so enthralled by spy thriller, even if it a young adult version. Although he loved the book - in fact he has talked about little else other than James Bond, spies and secret agents since, I thought he might enjoy a copy with pictures even more.

My hopes were not too high for this book. At 160 pages, less than half that of the paperback, and being made up, in large part of pictures, I assumed a great deal of the story would have to be sacrificed. I was wrong. While the pictures a single picture may not paint 1,000 words, the whole of the pictures effortlessly replaces quite a bit of the text without any loss of story line. Having read both this and the original paperback, I have found the storyline identical. There really is nothing lost in the transfer to a graphic format. I do have a slight preference for the unillustrated version, simply because I like to let my imagination fill in the details, and I read too fast as it is. A good paperback rationed out can last me a few days - and I do have to limit myself so as not to finish it one night. This on the other could be used up in hour, although it took my son a full day to read it. It is still very much a book I could enjoy though.

My son on the other hand loves this book. He immediately asked for Bloodfever in this format, and seeing the joy this has brought I decided to buy it. Unfortunately this is the only young James Bond book available as a graphic novel. More's the pity. These are the type of books that would make any boy into avid readers! I honestly think the decline in comic books has been matched by a decline in literacy. Many studies have shown that children who enjoyed comics were more likely to become fluent readers. More recent studies show how much more students understand and enjoy the classics in graphic form, and even the bible is now available in comic strip style.

Fpr those who have not read the full length version, this is the first in a series about James Bond as young boy. An unimaginable terror as a crazed arms salesman and a mad scientist team up to create an aberration of nature. When a young boy sneaks under the fences for a chance to fish in this secret lake, an chain of events is set off which include Bond, and deeply affect the man he will become. This book gives us the chance to see Bon's character develop and watch him mature from a kind but somewhat frightened young boy, into a confident, couragous and very resourceful young man. It is full of action and excitement, and provides a good role model as well.

I think this is one of the very best children's books ever written. I am only sorry there are no more books like this. I fully recommend this book for all ages.
This is a graphic novel version of the first Young Bond novel, which tells the story in an exciting way. I purchased some graphic novels for my eight year old son, who I noticed was dilligently reading his school book, but much less likely to pick up a book for pleasure (which worried me I have to admit). Since receiving a batch of graphic novels over the holidays, he has picked them up, flicked through them and become hooked on reading again. These are an ideal way to introduce reluctant readers to a love of books and my son has now asked me for the next in the series, as well as the original version of this novel. However, graphic novels are not a poor second at all - this is a well produced book with a great attention to detail and great fun. Which is, after all, the whole point of reading.
on 31 December 2015
The fact that this is meant to be James Bond did not change the fact that the story was not strong, with no distinctive sense of character or location. Large chunks are set in the Highlands, but as my son and I read it together we did not get much feeling for what should have been an beautiful and atmospheric setting. My son asked me to change the main character's name to John Gray to see if the story held up without the association with the famous hero - it didn't, and we didn't get beyond halfway...
on 13 September 2016
My headline for this review sums this book up in one word, to add a few more one words to do the same. Brilliant, fantastic, incredible. A very well written book a must for all James Bond fan's. To Charlie Higson what can I say he certainly has the measure of James Bond to write this as someone younger playing The....James Bond I was sceptical to say the least. I needn't have been he portrays the character perfectly with all the same attributes of the adult James Bond. He keeps you on the edge of your seat not knowing if Young Bond is going to survive on a number of occasions throughout the book, just like the James Bond we all know. I am looking forward to reading the other books in the series. Make them in to a film just like Harry Potter! I will finish with another word I have not used. Amazing.
on 22 February 2018
Higson perfectly captures the spirit of Bond-at times this is as gripping as the best Bond movies!Quite gruesome at times so not suitable for younger readers but great for both adults and young teens
on 19 February 2018
excellent book which arrived fast
on 26 May 2017
A present for my grandson
on 29 August 2017
Very good
on 27 March 2017
"This book is very interesting and clever. I liked the way the plot resolves in the way it did. Bond was my favourite character, obviously, he's very mysterious."
Ernie (age 9)