Customer reviews

on 26 March 2016
I owned this many years ago, it was a helpful influence in my business and personal life, and a lot of fun to read and to "play around with" as well as apply seriously to situations, challenges and problem solving.

I actually bought it again for my girlfriend rather than myself, she didn't know of it but is studying for a degree in Textile Art & Design so I thought that not only would she appreciate the content but it might aid the creative process, even though it is not written with that in mind.

I was always able to think laterally, but this book improved that ability greatly, such that parts of it, subconsciously, are permanently with me. Plus now that my girlfriend has a copy I can look forward to reading it again and enjoying it as much as before.
on 30 October 2016
To make it really work it would probably have to be adopted top-down in a company. It was interesting to read how to explicitly not think in some ways in order not to shut down some ideas, or how to say dismissive stuff in a neutral way, but for a personal growth it wasn't that applicable. It also seemed rather convoluted and prescriptive compared to (for instance) Five Dysfunctions of a Team. On a personal level Managing Oneself or Essentialism were much more helpful.
on 24 November 2011
I need to declare that I am a Six Thinking Hats Certified Trainer. Edward de Bono has in my opinion taken the obvious and added a perspective that adds significant value. The obvious being our ability as humans to think. What we have not been particularly good at is recognising that thinking can be effective or ineffective.
The six thinking hats introduces our minds to a new of way of organising our thinking so as to improve the output. In the years that I have taught the skill, I have witnessed vast improvements in the way people make decisions. Additionally the system that Edward proposes benefits meetings by preventing individuals to wonder off and lose sight of the focus.
In essence Edward proposes that thinking is divided into 6 categories representing the focus for thinking, information, constructive, cautionary and creative thinking as well as considering emotions. All this artfully connected to coloured hats to add connectively to the type of thinking in progress.
A simple yet very effective set of tools that will enhance the quality of your decision making.
This book has been such a life changer for me that I included the values in a book I wrote with Edward de Bono writing the foreword. Change Directions: Perceive It - Believe It - Achieve It
Georges Philips
on 27 January 2014
With my management team I did the one day course in Six Thinking Hats and bought this book later on to read it again and again. Now, 6 years later, I still use the techniques of parallel thinking which shows the power of it.

Are you having never ending discussions in your team, then this way of structuring your meeting is highly recommended and it will surely lead to better results.
on 26 July 2017
Don't rate it. only read half the book and was so bored.
on 31 March 2015
This book presents an interesting concept that I find useful, more for my personal use that for customer engagements. The book could be shortened to a couple of key chapters as most of it is the author finding pleasure in raving about his brilliance.
on 13 April 2017
Good book and one of the best in their type. I recommend it.
on 29 July 2016
Thought provoking book, albeit after a few months of reading... I'm not convinced that it has impacted my thinking very much.
on 18 May 2013
Parallel thinking and so much more. Its one of those subjects you eeven start using with your own family to get issues resolved on what we do at the weekend. So much harmony! So much Genius. A most excellent and thought provoking read on how to get everyones brain looking in the same direction.
on 3 January 2016
Great book, had in many years ago, great to have it again. Well received and in good condition - Thank you