on 8 June 1998
I read "100 Years" as a seventh grader in 1973 - and have searched for a replacement (someone permanently borrowed my copy) since! No other author made an impression on me as did Mr. Garcia-Marquez - for those who enjoy the "impossible, but hey, it could happen", this is a must read for all ages!
on 13 October 2011
I was not sure what to expect from Marquez's novel One Hundred Years of Solitude. The reviews on his style (magic-realism) of writing and the storyline of the novel varied in the extreme. Some felt it was brilliant others could not understand all the fuss. With this in mind and a holiday looming I decided the time was right to give this novel a go. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the story, finding the narrative very addictive.
The storyline is centred on the history of the Buendias family, who were the original founders of Macondo, a remote south American settlement. Marquez's narrative beautifully takes the reader on a journey through their family history, starting with Jose Arcadio Buendia, his wife, two sons and a daughter. Through these characters the reader follows the growth, developments and adventures that befall this pioneering family and their successive generations.
One criticism that has been written against the novel is the use of repetitive family names. However, there is a family tree in the front of the novel which I found extremely useful to refer back to. There were also parts of the novel where the storyline drifted slightly from the main theme at that time but I felt these episodes did not detract from the storyline. In fact, I felt they added to the overall adventure and fun of the book.
It is fairly evident that Marquez's novel is not going to be enjoyed by all, but I do feel that if the prospective reader is willing to invest some time into reading this novel then they will be rewarded.
on 3 June 1998
Unfortunately for Marquez, this is the title that is most loved. He has expressed a preference for 'The Autumn of the Patriarch'. But for the rest of us '100 Years' opens up worlds, opens up minds and opens up literature. If you haven't read it you are missing a dazzling milestone in 20th Century literature.
on 21 March 2008
I think no other book has had so much impact on me as this one.. Read it when I was 15 - loved it. Read it when I was 30 - was impressed even more.. Everyone has to read this book. Whether you like it or not - different matter. But once you've read it, you will never forget it. Masterpiece.
on 21 April 1998
As close to literary perfection as any work of fiction I have ever read. What does one say? Reading it was like reading the revealed word of God. Upon completing the book, I just sat there knowing nothing else I could ever read would approach the perfection of this book.
on 24 August 1998
I was breathless while reading this absolute masterpiece. I was so involved that used to identify my friends, my family and myself with each of the Buendias. Never predictable, stunning in its end, this is definitely the best tale of all times. Thanks so ever Gabo.
on 28 September 2015
Great thanks
on 24 October 2005
It may be that this is a poor translation but I found this book a real slog to read and not enjoyable in the slightest. Over long, plotless, rambling; nothing more than a load of unrelated episodes, mostly dull, occasionally diverting, about one family all of whom have the same names. The quality of the writing tends to the turgid and repetitive. About three quarters of the way through I put it aside for a while as I just couldn't go on, and thought possibly it might improve if I came back to it after a rest. It didn't. I skipped to the last chapter and found I could read that as the short undeveloped story it was without having read the rest of the book!
Yet I have read so many ecstatic reviews, which seems to be of a different book to the one I attempted so perhaps have read it in the wrong frame of mind or something! However, flicking back through the novel again its clearly just as bad as I thought. A novel badly in need of a complete edit and/or rewrite.
on 14 May 2014
This book is poorly written - The author seems to have made up the story as he has gone along- What does it give the reader? Nothing - such a waste..
on 5 May 2014
It's a hard read. Lots of characters with similar names. Reality and fantasy intertwined . It's not exciting but beautifully written . Read it if you have time on our hands and feel like a meander .