Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2017
This book was an amazing insight into what the human brain can potentially do. I have applied the techniques talked about in this book and can say that with a little bit of practice, it does become kind of fun to do whilst vastly improving one's memory. Great read!
on 12 October 2016
An entertaining and well written read.
on 12 May 2016
A great autobiography of Joshua which charts his journey very well.
on 29 May 2017
I was sceptical as to how sciency this would be, when seeing the quotes on the book and that a journalist wrote this, however it excels in discussions of science related to memory.
on 17 June 2017
An enjoyable journey into memory.
on 17 September 2015
A very fascinating read
Very interesting techniques
on 16 February 2017
It starts a bit slow, getting more interesting along the way.
on 23 April 2017
Good entertaining read. Felt a little padded out midway through but still enjoyable.
on 7 January 2013
I though it was going to be a self-help book, but it turns out to be just a memoir. Not what I was expecting, and it was a bit boring for me.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So this book is neither a 'how to' manual, nor a history of memorization, nor a biography of the winner of the American Memory Championship, nor a clinical investigation into the working of the brain. It is, however, a mixture of all four--and this is where its strength or weakness lies, depending on what you were looking for.

I found it a really interesting mix - with enough information, examples, stories, interviews, history and storyline to keep me reading. Foer ranges through the history of memorization and reading, to meetings with people with all sorts of memory anomalies--those who remembered everything, or nothing, or who claimed to remember everything--to his own expereices of trying to improve his memory. I enjoyed the insights into how we remember and I even got round to putting some of it into practice to help me remember my bank login details. Ironically I highlighted other bits so that I could find them easily in the future - to save me having to remember them. I also enjoyed the insights into how we read, now much more extensively than intensively, and wondered whether I should change my reading style to read more intensively.

Whilst some of the techniques are nifty and smart for remembering things like bank login details, I did wonder what precisely is the practical use of much of the more advanced methods. As someone who speaks publicly for a living a could see little use in the techniques in my field. This of course takes nothing away from the book, although had the book simply been about techniques it would have done.

One feature I did like were the end-notes - allowing the reader to pursue their own lines of inquiry if they wished.

In some ways the style of the book is a little bit like Bill Bryson's works--not as thorough as a purist might like, but sufficient detail, interesting anecdotes and variety of information for an inquisitive tourist of the subject.