on 23 August 2016
This is an absolutely extraordinary book - really life-changing. If you want to become a more incisive thinker, or develop your critical thinking - or never fall for the BS of an 'expert' - then this is a terrific read. It will help you understand how to apply scientific methodology to everyday life and to be happier and more accepting of what life throws at you. I'm not sure this was the author's intention, but it's a definite outcome or benefit.

The author is a deep thinker about probability and scientific methodology and is extremely well-read in philosophy. A real pleasure to read, and a real eye-opener on what is actually behind the success of businesses, business people, traders, and just about anything else you care to mention. He particularly highlights the folly of believing the 'magic touch' of the likes of central bankers, economists and MBAs, as well as explaining how and why most journalism is toxic. He'll show you just how truly ignorant and fallible 'experts' tend to be, and why.

Okay, so I'm a fan of philosophy of science and scientific methodology. For me, reading this was like coming home and getting into a warm bath. I wish everyone would read it so that we could change society for the better by ridding ourselves of overpaid CEOs, idiotic central bankers and poor journalism.
on 4 May 2014
Nassim Taleb has become a very well known writer, and I think he truly deserves that spot. By reading any of his works you can figure it out quickly that he's a very bright person, and his career as an option trader gave him the knowledge to write on this topic.
Our brain is biased in many ways (with no doubt in different degrees from person to person) and the mindset most of us got from our education just isn't adjusted to deal with chance. What this book does is to explain how we let our biases influence our decisions, and why do we have those biases in the first place. All of this in a soft and fun way to read, but at the same time with very profound arguments.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2007
I was hesitant about buying this book because I thought it might be a technical book about trading. It isn't. It reminded me of Fred Schwed's, Where are all the customers' yachts? - a humorous look at human folly in the media and the world of investments. There's a little bit of Northcote Parkinson, P J O'Rourke and maybe a little of Montaigne in there, too.

I liked the fact that Taleb recommends not reading newspapers or watching TV news, I like his anti-corporate dandyism, too. He makes a sweeping statement about how self-help books don't work, which I didn't agree with, particularly because I think this book is a rather smart and elegant self-help book written by a very funny guy.

I work as a speechwriter and this book is crammed full of colour that can be recycled for that kind of exercise. If you don't use it for that it will liven up your dinner-party conversation.
on 30 April 2017
Another brilliant book by Taleb.
on 1 February 2017
excellent
on 28 August 2016
very good thank you
on 15 June 2017
Stated "very good" but had highlightings and had no dust cover
on 13 May 2017