on 30 July 2013
Susan Cain, based on her personal experience and on an excellent research of the leading minds in behavior and personality, created an enlightenment reflection of today's society obsession with the gregarious and loud lifestyle. As an introvert, I was amazed how Quiet resonated with my own experiences at school, work and social life and how assertive it portrayed the relation between over-stimulation and the need for solitude. It is a bold and necessary statement against the superstar blueprint: who did say that solitude and quietness aren't paths to a fulfilling life?
on 10 October 2012
A book of self-discovery and self-affirmation for introverts. We might not be screamers ("empty barrels ... " - but they make the most noise and looks like they get the girl and make the most money) but we can learn to exploit the sense of self and assuredness that comes from being at ease with solitude, that comes from deep reflection and then when we act - BOOM! Being quiet does not mean we are apathetic; but we watch, we observe, we learn, we plan ... and then we must act.

Susan Cain's book is a veritable "You're OK, no apologies required" encomium.
on 9 August 2014
Very interesting and empowering book for quiet people like me and my daughter. It has some pragmatic suggestions in believing in yourself and strategies on coping.
on 1 March 2015
This is not the easiest read in the world but not too difficult if you are interested in people and the human condition. Very engaging subject. Would tend to make you re-evaluate your way of viewing people if you have accepted current trends in thinking regarding social attitudes, team work and so on. By many people in society the lone wolf or home bird is almost considered 'ill' or lacking in some sort of moral fibre! I have for some time thought this attitude to be too simplistic and this book evidences the value of both the loner and the outgoing person.
on 28 May 2014
I've been meaning to read this book after watching Susan Cain's Ted Talk (which I highly recommend if you haven't seen it).
It's well written and very insightful. As someone who's always felt a little out of place in society this book explains the world as it is today and how it's gotten to this point. It has made me question the rate of anxiety (and depression to a point) that is being diagnosed these days.

I highly recommend it to anyone who's ever suffered from anxiety (or is a little shy) or who has an interest in extroverts and introverts.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 July 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm sure that this book is a great comfort to people who have at the shy, nervous end of the introversion-extroversion spectrum. Essentially, the book outlines a little research and quite a few stories about people who are introverted and the many gifts that they bring.

I agree with a lot of the arguments within the book. For example, I agree that a lot of people at work seem to talk for talking's sake rather than having anything to contribute.

The author is also a gifted storyteller. For example, in the opening chapter, she tells the story of an individual (a lawyer) who was really introverted and nervous about having to do a negotiation with a big client. However, the individual focused on her introverted strengths, her attention to detail and the fact that she spoke quietly; at the end of this story, the individual succeeds and wows the client to such an extent that the client organisation offers her a job. There's a twist to the story that I didn't see coming and I liked the way the story was presented.

In fact, there are lots of interesting stories. Another one talks about what it's like to be at Harvard Business School, where talking for the sake of talking is a skill that the school is definitely interested in inculcating into its students. All of these stories are entertaining and quite readable.

Unfortunately, I didn't agree with all of the research. The author seems to confuse some overlapping concepts. So yes SOME introverts are quite anxious, but there are also other introverts who are not. The author confuses issues such as these and, as such, I felt a bit annoyed when she made some of her arguments in the middle parts of the book.

The author also presented a definite stereotype of what a shy, introverted person looks like. So she often describes them as being 'pale' or having 'blue eyes' or being 'tall and thin' or 'unathletic'. I didn't feel it was helpful for her to stereotype introverted people in their physical terms as strongly as she did.

However, I'm sure that this book will be of great comfort to quieter individuals who feel that their contributions have been overlooked. I guess I'm just not one of them.
on 17 July 2013
This is a phenomenal book, providing a unique insight into a world which is being lost to the desire to simply follow trends. Resulting in a world where people are unable to fully appreciate the different types of people, whilst also claiming to embrace diversity. However, the diversity the world speaks of is one where people 'express their individuality' in the ways that extroverts do, leaving more introverted individuals feeling chastised or isolated. This is a must read, especially for all those who claim to have a broad way of thinking.
Great book!
on 23 October 2015
This book seems to be endless snippets about various studies that have been carried out on introverts, extroverts and general behaviour. And various people's (normally directors of various institutions in USA) recollections of things that have happened in terms of behavioural issues. I was waiting for the useful part, as to how this information was going to benefit me. But it never came.
on 29 June 2013
I loved this book. It made me glad to be an introvert, it taught me things I never knew about the high correlation between introversion and other key psychological traits and it introduced me to research which I would otherwise have no idea about. I summarise some of the key ideas here ([...] and I reiterate what I said then: you need to read this one.

I didn't get this one on review but I actually paid real money for it. The fact that I'm reviewing it whilst under no obligation to do so should tell you that I really liked it!
on 8 November 2013
I am an Introvert, my husband is extrovert & I now understand myself better and why we have the conversations/ negotiations we do about parties, how many people to invite to dinner. It is a relief to see written down that others feel the same things as I do. My older son is also introverted and some of the insights will help me teach him how to operate. I perceive now that I have learned how to be more extroverted in some environments but it is tiring. Even if you do not usually read non-fiction make an exception for this book.