Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 July 2017
A very informative book to read. Very exciting with action in every chapter. This book is written in language I understand well, that of the ordinary soldier.

Sgt Mills led his platoon well in scores of actions against vastly superior numbers as well as establishing his snipers den on the roof of the building they were there to protect. The book explains how the Princess of Wales Regiment, newly arrived in Southern Iraq, coped with increasing violence against them by the Mehdi army and others and how they took them on - and largely won. It didn't happen without casualties and the reaction of all shows the mettle of the modern infanteer in the British Army.

An excellent read.
on 2 June 2017
Wow, what they don't capture in the news! The reality of what soldiers must endure is well documented in this book. The need for strong leadership, strong men both physically and mentally and unflinching backup is obvious. War is needless, but, if war it is, then men like these are our heroes. The unbelievable challenges of that level of fighting would destroy most, but certain characters can withstand this hell. Sadly we know PTSD can affect a lot who can't shake the drama and trauma experienced...they deserve our on going gratitude and support. This book describes the very basics of combat and how the human soul must break through it's time honed polite humanistic approach, to be so desensitised as to take a life and move on to the next...to defend life for life. I hope with all my heart another man need not write such a story...sadly, such as this world we live in, there could be many more. Thank you for giving us the insight described so well, you and the men you mention ...and the unmentioned, you have given so much in so many ways, you can always stand proud.
on 1 May 2016
Reads like one but you have to remember this is an historical account of real events! It shows the awesome professionalism of the British Army. We owe them an enormous debt of gratitude! Maybe we didn't find Sadam's WMDs but we deposed an evil b@st@rd who've desperately needed killing this book explains why we did what we did in graphic and humorous detail. Not for everyone but I have just finished reading it for a second time - I think that says it all. My thanks to all the men of Y company
on 21 July 2017
I hardly ever write reviews.
Either when something is totally awesome or totally terrible.
I am so please to say this book I found AWESOME.
I'm not a big reader but I couldn't put this book down.
Sgt Dan Mills give you just a small insight to the real life of a soldier and I have nothing but admiration to you and the boys that protect us day in, day out.
Fascinating read !
on 26 July 2017
This has got to be the most amazing stories I have read. This in no way demeans what has gone before, and I haven't read a lot of these type of stories, but I just thought that this was an thoroughly enjoyable read from beginning to the end.
on 28 November 2016
To coin a phrase ...... some peace keeping tour eh. What an amazing story. This true life story really gives an insight into the kind of work our extremely professional armed forces undertake with little or no public recognition.
on 2 April 2017
A very powerful book detailing a snipers time in a war zone. It oozes authenticity and takes you right into the situations in a way that could only told by somebody who had been there, seen it, done it and has the T-shirt. I was enthralled all the way through.
on 9 May 2017
Very gritty true story of a British Army sniper group under siege in Iraq.It is a great insight on our troops lives and of their feelings and thoughts towards those whom they were trying to help.
on 22 May 2017
The endless tension during the fighting is ably communicated to the reader. You can feel the adrenalin rush followed by the echo of silence following each attack. All old soldiers should read this as a refresher course.
on 17 July 2017
Simple narration of the diminishing will of our politicians to equip our troops properly. Certain Senior Labour Party Politicians should hang their head in shame.