on 18 February 2014
In The Polysyllabic Spree, Nick Hornby covers a variety of books and reviews most of them in a humorous way (even when his mood is slightly sombre or his review poignant) and there are some good excerpts from some of the novels he speaks about. The writing is fluid, lucid and intelligent throughout. The only minor writing quibble was the occasional, much-detested TO BE HONEST, a phrase that should be banned along with AT THE END OF THE DAY, but it didn't really detract from my reading experience. My only real problem, and the reason it didn't leave me completely fulfilled, is that most of the reviews were for books I would never read, nor want to; biographies, literary "classics", novels set in the 1300s, etc.

Maybe that makes him better than me--probably does--because he can read a wide range of stuff and like it, but it was kind of annoying, too, because I wanted to hear his opinion on authors I like, and he only mentioned two: Richard Price and Dennis Lehane. I would have liked his thoughts on many of the other novelists I enjoy, (which, I guess, is very selfish of me) but at the same time I wasn't bored reading the reviews on books I'd never read, and I'm sure for those who like biographies and literary classics such as Ulysses, they will probably find this book fascinating.

I guess if I wanted to be pedantic, the lack of disdain dampened the book a little. I only usually read the one and two star reviews when I go on Amazon. I check them before I read a book and after. I like to hear what people hated about a book, not what they liked. I don't care what they liked, unless, of course, their opinion vibes with mine. And Hornby is too nice. I guess, because he's got a career he doesn't want to lose by down-talking other authors. Luckily, I'm not in that position. I just think it would have been better if he was more scornful throughout, because on the rare occasions he did highlight an author's stupidity, I found myself relating to him more. Maybe that's because I'm an angry person.

Who knows?

Anyway, if you like the type of books he reviews then buy it. If you don't, then get it from eBay and read it anyway.
on 3 February 2014
Being a huge fan of Nick Hornby's novels I was hesitating with this review, especially after having been called a bastard for being an Amazon reviewer right in the beginning of the book. Dear Mr Hornby, I took it personally. Nevertheless, I shall proceed.

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree is first and foremost a great company. It is a needed pause between our endless reading wish list, it gives us time to reconsider why and how we read books and wether we are doing it for all the right reasons. And, of course, it is always interesting to learn what other people think of books you read and loved (or hated), especially if these people happen to be someone you respect.

I have a healthy appetite for books. As your average nerdy child I used to read everything that landed on my parents' book shelf and now that I'm at liberty of buying as many books as I please I feel that I read too much and sometimes "badly" - a term fully explained in the first few months of the spree. I will not spoil the book by discussing it further, but I will give a fair warning for the potential reader - if you think that this book is a collection of reviews you run the risk of reading it "badly". This book is all about the experience of reading, its joys, challenges and purpose.
on 2 April 2007
For me one way of assessing how good a book is, is the length of time it takes me to finish it (I exclude War and Peace etc. from this sort of judgment). I finished this collection of Hornby's over a weekend. I like his honesty and his unpretentiousness and his humour. Even the chapter headings rang a bell i.e. books bought in a particular month in one column and the books actually read in a much shorter column. We've all been there.

Anyway, soon after finishing it, I ordered two of the books reviewed, put others on a list and recommended one to my daughter who doesn't read fiction a lot.
on 11 October 2017
Really lovely perfect jeans. I got the size W36/L29. I only wish I could get the exact pair in blue.
on 7 February 2013
Enjoyed very much, it is basically a collection of articles but provides useful information on books worth reading. In particular I am very grateful for the advice to read Mystic River, I am now a confirmed Denis Lehane fan!
on 30 March 2015
Bought as a gift for a Nick Hornby fan
on 26 May 2005
This is a slim volume collecting essays Nick Hornby wrote from Dave Eggers's magazine the Believer. In these essays, produced monthly, Hornby chronicles his reading, telling us about books he's enjoyed and books he's struggled with, keeping a detailed record of what he's bought and what he's read (not always the same), and reflecting on the way life and reading interrelate. It's a fairly slight book, but there are some characteristically neat observations, and it's touched with Hornby's usual humanity. To me this is basically a bathroom book - something to read in five-page chunks - and it shouldn't be seen as either a literary manifesto or an important extension of Hornby's oeuvre. But it has made me check out writers I either wouldn't otherwise have read or hadn't even heard of, and that's always a pleasure.
on 26 April 2013
Very accessible and enjoyable way to be introduced to a pile of new books. My bookshelves will be groaning even more.
on 17 September 2014