Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2017
I SO enjoyed reading this. Having watched the tv adaptation of the series I wasn't sure how I would feel about reading the book, but it was great. It was hilarious to note how the written descriptions of people compared to how they were portrayed in the tv series. Gerry obviously didn't describe himself, but I could see the young actor all the way through. Leslie appeared exactly as shown, less so Margo, but Larry, who comes across as rather languid and handsome on tv, is the total opposite in the book, as is Spiro. Louisa is wonderfully captured in the tv adaptation also. There were so many laugh-out-loud bits in the book that I found myself constantly going to my daughter to read long passages to her. Most poignantly the whole experience of spending those carefree years on Corfu was so wonderfully described - Gerry's complete joyful innocence of being able to discover the natural world for himself. I am sure I will read again quite soon - absolutely lovely.
on 4 March 2017
Lovely reading covering a good part of Gerald Durrell's early life.
on 29 June 2017
Enjoyed this very much, beautifully written in a free and easy style. I read it in large chunks as I couldn't put it down and didn't want to reach the end, it's like losing an old friend. I've got Prospero's Cell about Corfu by his brother Lawrence to read next, I think I'll enjoy that too.
on 16 August 2017
I sat for my Ordinary Levels exams in 1969 and I had the book 'My Family and Other Animals' for my English Literature exam. I was completely enthralled by the adventures and the humour of Gerald Durrell. I still have the original book I studied from in 1969 and it is in tatters. I must have read it a 100 times. I decided to buy 'The Corfu Trilogy' in order to relive the experience of Gerald's family on Corfu.
on 19 August 2017
I loved reading this book after viewing the DVD's. I loved the story, the characters, and the whole idea of Mrs Durrell taking the family away from the wet and cold of England to enjoy the delights of Corfu and the weather (most of the time).The book is 757 pages long, I wish there had been a Volume 2.
Amazing stories well written.
on 10 September 2017
It's okay! Lot of time spent on the animals, insects etc, which is okay if you are really interested.
on 28 May 2017
Read these many years ago and they are still as charming, funny and enjoyable as the first time.
on 23 August 2017
This lovely trilogy contains the classic My Family and Other Animals (The Corfu Trilogy) to the lesser known but equally good Birds, Beasts and Relatives (The Corfu Trilogy) and The Garden of the Gods (The Corfu Trilogy) . In all three, Durrell is a master story-teller, getting the perfect balance between exceptional nature observations and the hilarious experiences of his family, their many visitors and the local Corfites.

Of course, there is an outdated element to the books. No child today should be encouraged or allowed to collect the vast number of animals that Durrell did, which included robbing birds’ nests and other (now) illegal activities! So I would imagine a child reading it today might be amazed at what the young Gerald got away with. But hopefully it might lead to some useful discussions on protecting wildlife, and conserving habitats and ecosystems, rather than taking animals from the wild and keeping them in cages. And hopefully the same children might realise that things were different then, and that the young Gerald’s nest-robbing etc. laid the foundation for his later magnificent work in breeding and protecting endangered species.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2017
its Gerald Durrell people - what more to say? he has a fantastic way to tell his story :-D