Customer reviews

I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2013
Fun and interesting concept, this book is basically a dictionary of funny expressions from all over the world, nota book to be read from cover to cover, better to just flick through from time to time.
on 21 July 2012
I bought this book because I am a massive word geek and I am currently running a blog about strange and obscure words. It's a fascinating read, however I was disappointed to find several mistakes. One of the Welsh words mentioned (lledorweddle) should be 'lledorwedd' (the -le means nothing whatsoever), while the full spelling of Llanfair PG (you know the one) was incorrect. These, along with a few other examples, made me wonder how many other words were incorrect throughout the book. But maybe my pedantry stems from the fact that I am a Linguistics graduate, and so I don't think anyone should be put off buying the book if they are a little interested in strange words.

It is a very humorous book and a wonderful insight into other cultures. Despite its flaws, I would recommend it.
on 17 August 2014
Some very apt words you can use when people don't quite know what you're saying to them
on 18 December 2014
Gift so not aware of how good the book is but delivery was fast and it looks good
on 6 February 2011
Interesting, but I was surprised (and perhaps a little disappointed) to discover that much of it is NOT about English.
on 22 September 2010
Absolutely fascinating. When you own this book you will keep it close to you, so you can dip in and out whenever you have time. The perfect gift (Christmas is coming) for that person who has everything.