on 26 September 2016
Bought this again as couldn't find my original book from 2007.

I lost 2.5 stone in 6 months using this guide. After 7 years of keeping the weight off (mainly), the last year and a half have been plagued with lots of family problems and busy times. That has meant that my usual diet and exercise went out the window and the weight has piled on (as it does when you are eating on the run, crap hospital canteen food etc etc). I wanted to put a stop to it before it got really bad again and this is the only way of eating that works for me so I decided to give it another go.

It is still excellent and I am losing lots of weight! I feel rebooted. A brilliant lifesaver and I thank India and Neris for writing it.
on 18 March 2018
I started a new eating regime one week before reading this book, in that I gave up everything which gave me problems, as there's no point in eating anything that hurts, just for the sake of it. So to avoid bloat (bread), heartburn (pasta), problems swallowing (potatoes) or upset tummy (milk) I just stopped eating them. Then I discovered this book, courtesy of a good friend who had lost two stones in two months. Since starting India and Neris' way of eating I've lost a stone - in just 4 weeks. I'm not hungry and only occasionally do I miss having a pudding. Apparently they do come back into what I can and can't have quite soon, but having lost this weight so well and so quickly, do I really need a pud? I would go so far as to urge anyone who needs to lose weight to read the book and to try this. It really does work and because it was written by people who aren't food professionals, but who were overweight, it's easier to follow.
on 6 December 2015
I bought this used book and it's in extremely good condition. I'm really enjoying the down to earth way the ladies gave written this book, it's like an old friend is talking to me. As for the diet itself, it's quite extreme but then it needs to be if I want to shift the weight!
3 people found this helpful
on 17 September 2013
Looking to reduce my carbs I was recommended this but it really needs the first book - one that explains the diet I think. I have to admit that I was less that impressed. I was hoping for simplicity but when I read the first few pages and got to the list of recommended store cupboard ingredients I threw in the towel. I'm not that interested in cooking and we eat a fairly standard but healthy mix of foods, lots of fresh veg and ingredients, and had hoped for some simple ideas that we could use to cut down on carbs. This is far from your average basic cook I feel. Only for the dedicated and cordon bleu cook.
on 30 January 2009
I've never written a review before - but this book deserves one.
Read the book before you start the diet and then take on board one key thing - you must stay on part 1 of the diet until you are a stone from your target weight. Note down what you can have, and then enjoy both their recipes, the recipe book they have produced and the website with the most wonderful forum I've ever experienced (and I'm talking forum's in general - not diet as this is the 1st time I've dieted EVER!).

It gives great tips for eating out - and this is a diet that's easy to eat out on. The ground rules are simple and easy to grasp. Remember - some diets suit some, some don't suit others - but this one is worth a try.

And when you wobble and feel the temptation kick in - read bits of the book again and not only will it get you back on track - it'll make you laugh too and every person needs a laugh when they are serious about losing weight!
5 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2013
I read the Idiot Proof Diet book and have been following the diet for around 12 weeks. I have been on lots of different diets and have always been hungry. Really like this approach because you don't get hungry all the time however I am now getting fed up with protein so I purchased this cookbook. It's not for me. Tried a few recipes and simply don't like them. The chilli bake was terrible, spent a fortune buying all the ingredients and a few hours making it then found the topping inedible and had to scrape it off so I could just eat the chilli. Have found adapting Nigella and Jamie recipes much tastier and easier. Buy a normal cookbook and adapt the recipes yourself.
on 24 October 2017
I love this book.. have used it to help me loose weight. Easy to follow and good reading. Very encouraging and works great!!
on 28 March 2016
The only diet to follow, not quite as easy as they would have you believe, but it is understandable and I think it would work for most people, but I am old and have done so many other diets. I will keep at it, watch this space
on 6 April 2009
I bought this book after a friend (who's lost THREE STONE in three months!!)said to try it. I've not laughed so much in years, it's funny, touching and so true; every woman who's tried to lose weight, bought clothes 'Just because they fit' or eats after several drinks (most women in fact!)will relate to this book.
It's written partly as a journal, partly as diet/clothing advice, a 'diet buddy in a book'! The women who wrote it are truthful about the hard and fun bits of this diet, truth is it works, and pretty quickly too, if you FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER; losses of 7 pounds in week on are not unusual. Buy it!
on 28 June 2015
I hadn't realized this was written so long ago, a friend recommended it. It is essentially a low carb diet, amusing in parts and I think most of us can relate to their experiences. Having fallen off the low carb band wagon this book helped me to refocus, I've lost cm and 1.5kg in 2 weeks and I've not been as perfect as I should have been. Giving it 4 stars because some of the info is a little out of date. Worth a read though if you are new to low carb and want a friendly, not overly scientific explanation of the diet.