Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2015
Well, first and foremost, excellent product phenomenal delivery time. Well pleased. My eyes are failing me now, but thankfully my cognition is well intact, so Audio CD's are becoming the norm for me. I will quote you exactly the best definition I have found on this book. "Despite the theory's age, the Blind Watchmaker is as prescient and timely as ever. The watchmaker belongs to the eighteenth-century theologian, William Paley, who argued that just as a watch is too complicated and functional to have sprung into existence by accident, so too must all living things, with their far greater complexity, be purposefully designed. Charles darwin's brilliant discovery challenged the creationist arguments, but only Richard Dawkins could have written this elegant riposte. Natural selection: the unconscious, automatic, blind, yet essentially non-random process Darwin discovered - has no purpose in mind. If it can be said to play the role of a watchmaker in nature, tin is a BLIND WATCHMAKER". I am left 'speechless' to add anything to that with one exception. Both Richard Dawkins and his wife Lala Ward narrate this unabridged Audio CD with stupendous oratory passion, that you even feel more of the 'genius' that is Dawkins and Darwin being reveal in it's wonderful logic to you. Wonderful stuff. Highly highly recommended to either the less able to read, or if your eyes work fine, then buy the book (or the CD-to me it's a winner!) and be 'gobsmacked' at the natural intelligence of the author to lay down such a wonderful and beautifully constructed argument for what is really just 'common-sense'! R.
on 10 September 2017
I've read this before, and it is still brilliant. The thing is it could do with a bit of an update. His computer-generated life-forms are well out of date now. I think that chapter needs to be dropped, and he could write, instead, about how computer characters have evolved from those days of early experiments to the super fast, semi-intelligent, partly AI, partly self-aware characters that we have today, and also write a bit about the coming possibilities of AI, and the new theories of nested realities. This would mean also slightly modifying parts of the rest of the book where he refers to the bio-morphs. He'd need instead to make more modern references to existing advancements in computer science and the evolution of characters in the alternate realities we have created. If you read this, Richard Dawkins, I'll do it for you so long as you give me credit!
on 17 April 2017
Whether you believe in God or not, Dawkins is always a deep and interesting read. When he gets going on evolutionary biology it is very absorbing.
on 28 June 2017
In all my early years I had wondered at the complexity and enormity of life on this planet. Here is this work is a wonderful explanation that does not require the 'supernatural' and if I had read this aged 8 I would have been very content
on 23 August 2017
Its hard going.
Its difficult to stay interested in the long explanations and arguments.
I'm about to give up.
on 15 August 2017
After having read the Selfish Gene, I thought I would delve a little deeper into the work of Mr. Dawkins, absolutely superb and very understandable for the layman.
on 26 April 2017
Hard work.
on 21 March 2017
Very interesting.
on 16 August 2017
Bought as a gift, well received
on 7 September 2017
Having read a couple of his other books I tried this one too. I found it hard work and longer than it needed to be.