Customer reviews

on 5 August 2017
If I need to know more about my homeland of Wales this could tell me what I needed to know. It is brilliant that Simon Jenkins included Churches in his review and history within his book. It gave me a great reminder of how Wales was and how God had moved in the land of Wales. It is such a great book that I had to order it online after reading it (of which I found in the Library in Finland) whilst visiting my wife's family. As for the delivery it was great. The condition was as stated.
on 3 May 2016
Simon Jenkins is a wonderful writer. I like his style - honest and straightforward. Quite interesting and thorough research too.
on 18 July 2014
no one does it better
on 9 February 2009
Like Simon Jenkins I am 'half Welsh' and have lived my whole life outside of Wales, rarely visiting the land of my fathers.
I wanted a book that would:
a) kindle a somehow lost enthusiasm to visit and explore
b) help me overcome my woeful ignorance of Welsh history
I am delighted with this book for it scores on both counts. It is, apart from anything else, beautifully written, and conveys on every page, Simon Jenkins' obvious love for and knowledge of his subject, and it is permeated by both humour and intelligence. It is nicely opinionated as well as being well researched - thereby avoiding all of the normal cliche's and gloss that tourist boards regularly push out (and which is actually a turn-off for me). The intoduction is a tour de force in my view, encapsulating quite brilliantly the panorama of Wales' history in less that 40 pages, and explaining things that I never knew (and had become too ashamed to ask about)- the Romans in Wales,
The illustrations are almost all absolutely excellent, and the balance between text and illustration is perfect - no fancy Dorling Kindersley type graphics that make every page a piece of wallpaper.
This is a serious book, and a seriously good one. Wales should, on the strength of it, be having rather more visitors from beyond the Marches this year. I shall be one of them.
on 14 May 2009
I rarely buy new reference books as they generally aren't worth it, but I'm delighted to say this one is. It's a handy size, very readable and covers a wide range. There are some odd ommissions. If South Wales' iconic example of the romantic ruin is Carreg Cennan [which is given a whole column of blurb and a full page photo], then surely Dinas Bran is is North Wales' entry which deserves at least a photo - but it doesn't even get a mention, which is a pity when you think how many tens of thousands of people driving along the A5 must see it and wonder at it. However, I recommend this book as it generally does what it sets out to do.
on 2 April 2009
Hardback which has many colour pictures and maps to complement the detailed information on the buildings visited. This is written for the serious and enthuisatic person who likes to wander around old buildings to look at the interior & exterior fabic of the building. The history of the buildings also makes an interesting read, with some un-useual facts on the development of the buildings reviewed.
on 16 March 2009
Very well written book on the variety of interesting and sometimes obsure buildings of interest within Wales. Many are overlooked as we go about our daily life and are also not acknowledged on our visits.

A very helpful guide to planning a visit with many of the venues explained by there historical importance to the Kingdom of Wales whether it be kindship, religious or common everyday life. As with all books there is never enough space to include everything but the layout into counties/regions is very helpful.

There is a need though for a detailed map alongside you when you read the entries to enable you to locate the precise location of some of the 'off the beaten track' sites.

Should give hours of enjoyable reading. Could possibly do with some extra more enlightening photographic additions. But sure you can make your own when visiting some of the locations/buildings.
on 30 April 2012
A compact 'must have' if you are visiting Wales.Interesting places to visit, many not in the standard guide books.Text is accessible and never pompous or mired in jargon. Lovely photos too
on 5 January 2013
As with all Simon Jenkins and his supporting cast books this is one to be kept in the car so that explorations are enhanced by the competent and useful information they contain
on 15 January 2015
Item as described, perfect condition, well packed and delvered at the earliest possible moment.
Totally satisfied, thank-you very much.