Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2015
Bronte's story gets 5 stars from me, but I've only given 4 because I purchased a cheap copy a while back and, despite having tiny font and awfully cheap paper, it did have extensive footnotes. While the quality of the novel is fab, the lack of footnotes is a little bit disappointing for a Penguin classic, especially as this is frequently used as the student edition of Wuthering Heights. I love the story itself and if you're looking for a basic paperback copy, this will do fine!
on 12 August 2011
I have read many classics and Wuthering Heights is my favourite. Unlike most of her contemporaries Emily Bronte put everything into this one book and succeeded admirably. None of the other classics have so much passion in so few pages and the whilst the storyline is complex at first it is intriguing enough to compel one to re-read the book because it is so good. Sometimes I wonder if there is more than a little of Katherine and Heathcliffe in all of us and we yearn to be as passionate in our lives. I do like most of the other classics but this one is unbeaten even compared to Jane Austen's novels which seem almost frivolous campared to Wuthering Heights. Where else in the other classics does such passionate love trancend even the grave. A beautiful book and a masterpiece of literature.
on 2 October 2016
Have always enjoyed this story. Enjoyed the hard backed version and with the included fabric 'bookmark' which goes down the spine of the book so that you can mark where you are up to without having to find a separate bookmark. Used this book for study at A Level.
on 13 August 2015
A brilliant tale and well written. This period drama will have you gripped until the last page. I enjoyed every page and the characters Bronte so brilliantly created. Her narrative is in a league of its own and one that every keen reader should experience. This is a bench mark novel and one that is rarely equalled. I have been inspired to write my own fictional tale on reading this novel.
W.M.Aslam
on 30 August 2015
Good book, but unfortunately it doesn't have page numbers which is odd, and not very useful, as I bought it for my daughter's A-level studies, and she cannot make notes with reference to page numbers, so I will now have to buy another edition.
on 30 August 2015
Brilliant story, studying this text for school. Main problem is that the book doesn't have any page numbers what so ever. If this is a casual read then you can get by with a book marker and call it a day. However, from a student who needs to make notes about this book will find it hard to refer to page numbers, and won't be able to refer to certain parts of this book with ease. Giving this four stars instead of five because of the lack of page numbers, which to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been commented on in the review sections
on 13 February 2016
Overrated. Not enough happens. Boring at times. Dark and depressing. I can’t understand why it’s so famous/beloved. I love 19th century literature and am a patient reader (Vanity Fair, Les Mis, Tale of Two Cities amongst favourites) so know this is not the opinion of an impatient reader.
on 17 November 2016
Excellent quality, just like new, and quick postage. As for the book itself, everyone should read it. A work of true genius.
on 17 August 2014
An atmospheric classic that haunts you with its beautiful writing and setting. The author builds deep characters full of wild passions, intense love, and equally dark hatred to evoke our own deep rooted intense emotions that rule us and to explore the human condition.

The beginning of the story is so memorable you will never forget the scenes till you die. The ending, particularly how the narrator influences its happy conclusion albeit unknowingly, is ingenious. the Author brings happiness to the ever suffering good ones after agonising trauma and trials. Even though the wild and beautiful Cathy dies, you can sense that her spirit lives on in her daughter who finally finds happiness and justice.
on 10 June 2012
The pain it gives me to award a Bronte novel 3 stars is unbearable, however for me Wuthering Heights is too dramatic and over the top. It's a good read yes, with 3 stars I acknowledge its literary value. But there is nothing in Heathcliff I like at all, he's just a nasty man, Cathy needs to get over herself and Nelly needs to stop being so interfering.

I realise I am going to get a lot of abuse for this review but maybe it's because I've not felt a love as strong as Cathy and Heathcliff's and that is why it is not my cup of tea. Yet I doubt anyone has. Would you really want to dig up your dead sister who you had a bit of a loving fling with when you were kids? Just think of that and instead read Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre or Anne Bronte's The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall.