on 8 December 2016
Live your life on purpose for a purpose....life is way to short...seize the day!!!
Another amazing book by Joyce Meyer
on 18 March 2017
So far so good!
on 26 February 2017
Great book
on 18 October 2016
Anyone familiar with Joyce Meyers teaching will benefit from reading her latest book and even those who are not familiar with her teachings.
As christians well often get stuck in our walk with God this book will show you the way forward and bring you into a place with a greater sense of purpose and focus ,as with all these things though you do need to put it into practice,that is where the full benefit will be realised..
As with all her books fairly easy to read and the concepts easy to get hold of ,very good
on 23 October 2015
I like the films of Robin Williams and was sad when he departed this life. I found Seize the Day to be funny and yet, as so often in Robin Williams films, full of pathos. He plays the downtrodden loser so well and it is his unique facial expressions, so perfectly timed that make his films stand out. As far as I am concerned, he was an outstanding actor.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 June 2014
This listing mixes reviews for the book and the film. I am referring to the book.

The lead character is one of the most unlikeable characters I have encountered in a novel, but he is unlikeable in a dull way. He is not selfish, devious or dishonest but lazy, complacent, pathetic and stupid. The other characters offer nothing to be admired. Perhaps Bellow was having some fun by setting out to affront his readers by cramming as many annoying features as he could into one short account. Perhaps it is an achievement to show the twisted attitudes of New Yorkers in a past age who lived in hotels even as their money ran out. Whatever the purpose, I found it wholly uninspiring.
on 10 November 2016
I wasn't going to buy this book at first - I'm so pleased I did! It's an excellent motivator, without whipping you up into some kind of ridiculous frenzied lifestyle! As usual, with Joyce, it's all Bible based, so not just someone's 'good idea'. Very encouraging. I'm reading it first thing in the morning and it's an excellent start to the day!
on 1 February 2002
One of the best short works of fiction ever, this stands alongside the Beckett trilogy as the great novel of failure - yes, what a decade the 50's were. Brevity is everything where a writer such as Bellow is concerned and other, more expansive books such as Augie March suffer from excessive passions. Read this and you will not be disappointed: wise, tidy and above all with a descriptive dexterity that is a match for anyone (including Dickens), Seize the Day has its hands on the gold. Note the last paragraph of this and compare with the first paragraph The Information. For anyone without perfection.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2005
"Seize the day, put no trust in the morrow" is what Horace wrote at the end of his first book of Odes a couple of thousand years ago. And ever since, youth has been urged to make hay while the sun shines since the bird of time is on the wing--to toss in a couple more homilies. But what Saul Bellow has in mind here is entirely ironic since his sad protagonist, Tommy Wilhelm Adler has never seized the day at all, much to his unfeeling father's disgust.
This then is a tale of failure (one of Bellow's recurring themes) and the shame and self-loathing that failure may bring; and yet there is a sense, or at least a hint--not of redemption of course--but of acceptance and understanding at the end of this short existential novel by the Nobel Prize winner.
The way that Bellow's drowning, existential man experiences the funeral as this novel ends is the way we should all experience a funeral, that is, with the certain knowledge that the man lying dead in the coffin is, or will be, us.
And we should cry copious tears and a great shudder should seize us and we should sob as before God with the full realization that our day too will come, and sooner than we think--which is what big, blond-haired, handsome Jewish "Wilkie" Adler does. And in that realization we know that he has seen the truth and we along with him. An existential truth of course.
The structure of the novel, like James Joyce's Ulysses, begins and ends in the same day. Through flashbacks from Adler's nagging consciousness, the failures and disappointments of his life are recalled. When he was just a young man he foolishly thought because of his good looks and the assurance of a bogus talent scout that he might become a Hollywood star; and so he spurned college and instead went to the boulevard of broken dreams as it runs toward Santa Monica.
And so began the failure and dissolution of his life. As Bellow tells it, Wilhelm has slipped and fallen into something like a watery abyss. He can't catch his breath. He is drowning. He reaches out to his father, who turns away from him. He reaches out to Dr. Tamkin, the mysterious stranger, the clever fox of a man who swindles him and then disappears into the crowd of the great metropolis. He reaches out to his wife, who will also not extend a helping hand. Meanwhile, the waters about him have grown, and he is lost.
We are all lost, more or less, except those who delude themselves, who have their various schemes and delusions to distract them, is what Bellow seems to be saying. Those of us who have not seized the day, a day that is fleeting and subtle, indefinite and hard to grasp, become so much water-logged driftwood.
With resemblances to Albert Camus' The Stranger and Arthur Miller's Willy Loman, Bellow's Wilhelm is the essence of the anti-hero, literature's dominate strain of the mid-twentieth century. Such men have no firm or deep beliefs. They exist for the day, like butterflies, tossed about by circumstance all the while wondering why, but without any ability to rise above their predicament, a predicament that is so ordinary, so banal, so patently unheroic to be that of Everyman.
And what is the answer? For Bellow and Camus and Miller, the answer is the finality of death. A man lives, goes about craving--"I labor, I spend, I strive, I design, I love, I cling, I uphold, I give way, I envy, I long, I scorn, I die, I hide, I want"--and for what and because of what? Like the tentmaker, Omar Khayyam, we wander willy-nilly without a clue, and then become so much dust in the wind.
For life IS a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying in the end, nothing. All our labors are like those of Sisyphus pushing the stone up the hill only to watch it roll back down again.
We cannot help but feel in reading this novel both a sense of empathy for the man who has failed, but at the same time, we might feel like his father and want to give him a kick and say, "Wilkie, get a grip on yourself. Quit making the same mistakes over and over again."
But we know that for Wilhelm it is already too late. He cannot change his nature anymore than the leopard can change its spots. We sense the great hand of fate upon him, and we shudder. For in some respects--different respects of course--we could be him. And we straighten up our frame, we return to our duties and responsibilities, to our work and the rhythms of our lives secure in the knowledge that we are stronger that Wilhelm, that although the waves may toss us about, we will not sink. At least not yet.
In reading this for the first time now half a century after it was written, I am struck with how different the zeitgeist is today. We have wildly successful heroes and larger-than-life murderous villains, and nowhere is there the existential man.
This short work is a splendid representative of one of my favorite genres, the short, sharply focused American novel from the early or middle 20th century. Other--widely differing--examples are John O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra, Nathanael West's Miss Lonely Hearts, F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea, to name a few.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2007
The main character in Saul Bellow's novel is Tommy Wilhelm. He now lives with his father at the Gloriana Hotel in New York. Everything he has ever undertaken has gone wrong. He never managed to complete his studies. He was dragged to Hollywood by an old friend, Maurice Venice, who promised him a career as a film star with Kaskia Films. But then it turned out that Venice was simply a pimp and Wilhelm ended up by working in a restaurant in California. Later he married Margaret, he had two sons Paulie and Tommy and found a job with a company called Rojax Corporation. When he was dismissed his marriage broke up and Wilhelm's father's wrath reached the point when he refused to give his son a single penny.
When Wilhelm meets psychologist Dr Tamkin, he is drawn into speculation in commodities at one of the branches of a good Wall Street house. Wilhelm clings to the hope that his luck is about to turn - he has given the last of his money to Dr Tamkin. Is Tamkin ripping Wilhelm off or is he offering him one last chance to make it out of his mess?
A moving portrait of a man with sensitive feelings, a soft heart, a brooding nature and a tendency to be confused under the many pressures of life.