on 27 November 2010
I greatly enjoyed this. It is a very decent narrative history book. It covers a great deal of ground and does so in a comprehensive and rigorous way. Some subjects are covered in a lot more detail than others but I didn't find anything to complain about it. Probably the best relatively short single volume history of the Classical world that I have read.
on 14 October 2016
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 March 2015
Son wanted it for university and he is happy with it and so, I am as well.
on 28 July 2013
I found the whole book easy to read and swept through it in a few days. Wetted my appetite for more on the same period. Robin Lane Fox is obviously very well read on Greek and Roman history and admits when opinions vary regarding the basic facts, always ready with an " in my view". My own download has Chapter 24 ("The New World") but I have deducted one star because after a perfect start the book beginsto run the odd word intoeach other which can become a littlebit distracting, especially after paying £9.99.
on 11 March 2013
I bought this book for college and found that it was outstanding and easy to follow and made my course work a lot easier
on 18 October 2015
Can't recommend this book highly enough- erudite, readable, interesting- more of the same please!
Although i agree with some reviewers that Robin Lane Fox does go into too much detail on his favourite topics, he displays a good understanding of what a general reader wants from a book spanning many centuries, making it a book to return to, time and time again, each time finding something new.
on 16 April 2013
I think it is one of the best book
It is very precise and very elaborated book !!!
I suggest this book to everyone
on 18 June 2015
Great book. Essential reading for anyone studying Ancient Greece and Rome.
on 21 August 2006
This is an outstanding sweep across hundreds of years of Classical Greek and Roman history by a very fine scholar with a well-tuned popular touch.

Ranging from the poet Homer in the 7th century BCE, to the Roman 'First Citizen' Hadrian surveying his empire from the Tyne to the Euphrates, Lane Fox communicates a lifetime experience of teaching the Classics in one compact volume, deliciously divided into chapters which can capture an era or event in one pre-sleep bite! His view is even handed, but his enthusiasm for figures such as Pliny and Cicero shine out. He also has a soft spot for gardeners...

This is an excellent starting point for further reading, with excellent and easily usable notes and bibliographies. The illustrations are fascinatingly discussed in an appendix. I especially enjoyed the careful modern nuances that alluded to 'spin' and 'regime change' - these can be clumsy in lesser writers, but they were revealing and apposite here.

A very very fine book covering a vital aspect of human history, and essential to fully understand the Western World with all its achievements, weaknesses and cruelties.
0Comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2018
An enjoyable account of the Author's view of the history of Greece and Rome, dealing with both chronological and thematic history. At 600 pages there is little room to hang about and Lane Fox kicks on like a good cavalry man. Its target is set, I think, at the reasonably well read amateur so that the expert and obsessive amateur will doubtless have some counter views. It major use to me (other than demonstrating once again how limited was Greek freedom) is to fill in the gaps between my more detailed readings which ten to cluster around military issues. I recommend reading it in bite-sized chunks with a good cup of tea.