The Jane Austen Book Club
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 August 2015
An excellent book, in the vein of Barbara Pym if not Jane Austen, with more humour than comedy but lovely characters and a really keen sense of observation. I was puzzled at the beginning and indeed a bit peeved at not being able to find out who the "we" narrator could have been and eventually gave up when I found out that not one of these characters could have known all that was narrated : a rather original technique, quite appropriate, I must admit, to telling the experience of a closely knit group of women. Some knowledge of Jane Austen's novels does help but may not be absolutely necessary after all. A lovely book, to be recommended.
on 29 February 2016
This book is not easy to follow and takes a while to get going. It seemed disjointed and bitty. I am still not sure how the characters tied in with the Jane Austen reviews at the book club.
on 31 October 2012
We chose this as one of our book club reads and only one person managed to finish it. You really need to know the Jane Austen characters to derive anything from this book and it would have perhaps been helpful to have a precis of her books as the first chapter. None of us gelled with the characters in the story. Disappointing considering the comments on the front and back covers.
on 18 February 2016
Boring, didn't finish it.
on 10 March 2017
Fun
on 1 November 2016
Really enjoyable read
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2010
This was a reread for this month's book group which I happened to be hosting. It's a terrific book, very funny and of course lots and lots of Austen. I just love Bernadette's stories lol The movie that was adapted from this book is one of my all time favourites too. I can't quite put my finger on it but there is just something warm and wonderful about this book. I can't understand why there are so many negative reviews.

Book reviewed 7 Nov 2009