Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 July 2017
The book itself is good, covers all the basics. I was hoping for a bit more about hygiene and facts about bacteria etc but it's a good starting point. Wanted it to give someone else a hint about their pigsty of a room but instead of reading it they've decided to just use it as a place mat. If Kim and Aggie could write one called "You're a filthy pig but someone doesn't want the confrontation so read this, take note and clean your pit up you dirty beggar" then that would be great...
on 21 August 2017
Useful info re household cleaning without chemicals. Also, routines.
on 18 July 2017
I bought this for our Daughter as I had on given me and it is brilliant very thing u need to know from stain removal to cleaning anything
on 2 May 2011
cool book
on 8 November 2003
How Clean is your House gives you excellent hints and tips about how to keep on top of those awful dometstic chores we all hate doing. It breaks cleaning down into manageable bite size chunks and makes you want to get up and clean, clean, clean!
I bought this book to motivate me into doing all the tedious household tasks that I am forever putting off. The text and pictures will shame and horrify you into cleaning everywhere from top to bottom!
I read it the day I bought the book and spent the next morning cleaning non-stop. And do you know what? I actually really enjoyed it.
This book will make you wince in horror at the stories and itch as you imagine all the creepy crawleys Kim and Aggie abhorr, but more than that, it will make you clean everywhere from top to bottom and feel all the better for it!
A must have for all the domestically challanged people out there like me. Enjoy!
0Comment| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2015
The book was damaged (pages cut out!) was definately not acceptable for a seconhand book.
VINE VOICEon 8 May 2005
I admit I've never really understood how to clean, having never done it as a child so I'd try and do everything in one go and then get fed up. When I first read this book I was shocked at the number of tasks Kim and Aggie say need to be done such as vacuuming twice a week. However when I reread it I realised all the tasks are broken down into small chunks and all I need to do is a couple of them each day and its all sorted. I've been following this approach for over a week now and have started nagging my boyfriend who used to nag me to clean the house!
This book has had a huge impact on the tidiness and cleanliness of my house, however I don't know if it would be the same for everyone. If you know how to clean and manage to do it regularly, you probably won't learn much from most of the book and although there are interesting cleaning tips throughout the book that might be useful it could be an expensive way to learn to them.
on 12 September 2011
I bought this book when I moved in with my boyfriend and we had our own house for the first time. I knew the basics - how to wash up, do laundry, iron, just about clean a bathroom basically and how to take the bin out but I had no idea how to run a house and keep it healthy and smelling fresh and clean. This book was absolutely everything I needed, it tells you how to clean every room of the house and many appliances from fridges to dishwashers. It also has tips and tricks - who knew you could use a lemon for so much! Thank you Aggie and Kim!
on 1 August 2005
How clean is your house? is such a fantastic book to have, as it contains lots of really useful tips and advise on how to keep your house nice and clean. Aggie and Kim don't just use comerical cleaning products, they use things like lemon, white vinegar and newspaper to clean things in the house. If you missed out on the show get a copy of this book, it will change your life! If you watch the show (like me) get a copy as well, as it's nice to have their tips close at hand.
22 Comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
I came across this book in the middle of the night after reading an article in a national newspaper by one of these two about lemons and microwaves whilst feeding my daughter and thinking 'what a great idea'... I was basically hoping for some tips on how to clean my house a little more efficiently - it's January and I wanted some spring cleaning tips. I was also interested in how these two use products like vinegar, bicarbonate of soda as I want to move away from harsh chemical cleaners.

The book is nicely laid out and well written, in an easy-to-read format, however, I would have preferred less close up double page spreads of toilets, shoes, dirty baths and Aggie and Kim grinning at each other in bed (?!), less endless graphic descriptions of the filthy homes they'd visited - and more cleaning hints and tips for the reader!

For every great cleaning tip there is in the book, there are also about ten very basic tips that your average eight year old would know. Some are also repeated at other stages in the book, which is slightly annoying. The other thing is that they imply that "a few minutes cleaning a day" is all it takes to keep your house gleaming in the way that they describe... er, really? They then proceed to advise on how often to do certain things: change dishcloths daily, hoover the kitchen daily, change the sheets once or twice a week... As a full time mum who does about two hours of housework daily, and whose house is very tidy, I can quite honestly say there is NO way I'd have time to do a lot of the stuff they recommend and still look after my little one, cook, shop and all the rest. I had to laugh at the section where Kim said: sometimes at the end of a long day, if there is nothing on TV I think "I know what, I'll clean a room that I haven't cleaned for a while instead". Mmmm, nope, I'm not with you on that one!

In short, I think this book is geared towards people who genuinely do not know where to start when it comes to cleaning, or perhaps students in shared accommodation who need a bit of a prod to clean up their mess... for the rest of us who don't live in squalor - and let's face it, 90% of the population don't have mouldy plates stacked high in their sinks - this book doesn't really teach us that much.

Extra brownie points to Kim and Aggie however for managing to sound genuine and not at all patronising throughout the book, despite the fact some of the content is very basic.