on 29 August 2012
Firstly I have to begin this review by saying I absolutely love Jeremy Clarkson - I love his to-the-point style, and the fact he doesn't give a hoot what anyone thinks, he will just give his view on something. Usually whilst making me laugh for a good few minutes. I think he is great on Top Gear. However, I must say I was quite disappointed in this book. Although some of the articles were laugh-out-loud funny, as a whole it wasn't quite as humourous or as interesting as I'd expected from him and, by the end, it was becoming almost a chore to finish the book.

A word of warning: most of the articles were written over ten years ago about news events at the time. Some of them are still relevant but others you will read and think 'things have progressed a bit since then'.

I would recomment this book only to the most die hard Clarkson fan, and even then, it's best to dip in and out of this book rather than read huge chunks at a time, otherwise you may find yourself suffering from Clarkson fatigue.

That said, I would give one of his more recent books a go.
on 21 September 2010
As a collection of humorous newspaper columns from 'The Sunday Times', there really isn't that much to say in terms of a review. What I CAN say is that this book is very, very good. Clarkson has a brilliant wit and a no-nonsense approach to life that mix effortlessly in his columns, never failing to make me smile. That's why I have all three of the 'World According to Clarkson' books, and why ol' Jeremy has joined the likes of Bill Bryson and Nick Hornby on my list of fall-back favourites for when I'm tired or just need a bit of cheering up.

Covering subjects as diverse as travelling in Europe and Christmas office parties, pub food and modern music, there isn't one column here that made me stop and think, "well, that was a dud week." Not only that, but there are some great pieces on Clarkson's pet subject - transport - that are more accessible than some of his other work for a novice like me. For example, there are a couple of marvellous musings on the Concorde, filled with an affection and reverence that shine through in his writing.

All in all, a brilliant collection - my copy is looking rather tattered now, which is always a good sign - and I'm looking forward to picking up Volume 2 ('And Another Thing...') next time I need another pick-me-up!
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 January 2007
I bought this more as an impulse off here - it was just under a pound, so at that price its well worth a try. And what a bargain it was! I'll admit, I've always had mixed opinions about the man himself - sometimes he can a little too far with his jokes and the likes of Top Gear, and obvious set ups (Taking and M-16 rifle on a carvan holiday?...) but netherless, his book shows the side of him I like, picking out the dubious, stupid, funny, and downright clueless things he see's in our society. The book is basically just his columns from The Telegraph from about 2001 onwards, but its an easy read not just because of it humerous content, and ideas that make you go "Yeah, I thought that!" but because the story's have the length of articles, it means you won't be putting the book mark in the middle of one of his rants.

He has some fine laugh-out loud ideas, as well as the more realistic options, that cover I wide range of issues - what he's seen on his travels in europe, laws, people, you name it. And the book doesnt scrounge on the pages too, so you'll be reading it for a long time. Great read - highly reccomended, whether your a young adult, or a middle aged grump like Clarkson himself.. at times!
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2008
Jeremy Clarkson receives an awful lot of bad press for being opinionated and crass, but like any schoolboy mentality, the more attention you lavish, the more they crave it. So his rants and raves on the health and safety geeks in their jumpers and cravats are to be expected really, and in an age where many think that common sense has been outlawed, Clarkson's articles in the Sunday Times come as welcome relief.

This book is a collection of articles from several years ago, so if you are an avid reader of his columns, then you might be wasting your time. On the other hand you might find the content a bit dated. Having said that if you like a bit of recent history, don't mind taking your mind back a few years, then this will bring a smile to your face. The subject matter is varied and the opinions are always extreme, but the articles are always short and sweet, but most importantly, they are funny. In his middle-aged way, he pretends to not understand the world to get a laugh, but when there's a subject he cares about, he really goes for it, and you come away thinking "y'know, he's got a point there."

And then you curse yourself for agreeing with him.
on 10 March 2008
In a section of this book, Clarkson tells us that he cannot believe how fast time passes as we get older. I agree. And I could not believe how quickly the back cover of this excellent book was approaching as I was reading it. As one who can normally make a book last until the end of time, I was amazed at how quickly I got through this one. The fact is that it is almost impossible to put it down once you start to read it. Page after side-splitting page, chapter after hilarious chapter, this was the best book I have read in a long time. A compilation of his Sunday Times articles from a few years ago, he expresses opinions with the subtlety of a bulldozer in a style that will have you in fits of laughter, unless you happen to be from Wales, Belgium or Surrey. Foxes in particular are likely to be offended but for the rest of us, this was a damn good read. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything he writes. But then, it is in such a tongue-in-cheek style that I doubt if even he does entirely. Nevertheless, if you like your humour to be non-pc, irreverant, satirical, bold and, of course, slightly overweight, then this is the book for you! Truly magnificent!
on 30 December 2015
The book itself is great and I've really enjoyed. A bit irritated with the condition...

When I ordered this product, I was assured that the condition was "good". When product arrived their were coffee stains sticking the outside cover to the actual book. Not what I would call "good". The book itself is readable, but not what I expected.
review imagereview image
on 20 September 2017
I like Clarkson and he is a fair writer. Problem with this book is it feels very dated and some good articles are weighed down by a lot of mediocre blabber. Best to read the newest edition in this series.
on 21 January 2015
Being a Clarkson fan (there may not be many) I was not surprised by what I read as he is as straightforward in his columns as he is on Top Gear. Don't feel that you don't have to buy this book just because it is a compilation of his newspaper columns, it's still a good and enjoyable read.
on 27 July 2010
I started with the 3rd book in this series, and decided to buy the 1st and 2nd one because I liked it and wanted more of the same.

It's an easy read, as you can just read a 3 page story then put it down and pick it back up for another story. And it's not complicated. Ideal for holidays or just quick reads in the train going to work.

However this one is already showing it's age: it is a collection of Clarkson's columns from the Times, and most of the ones in this book are nearly 10 years old now, and it's often things are not as funny because loads happened since (he's back on Top Gear, we've got a new government, etc).

Even considering this, it is still not as good/funny than the 3rd book and would only recommend buying it if it's really, really cheap...
on 21 January 2017
How can anybody be this miserable and so funny at the same time? Loved it! Insightful, clever, perspicacious and humorous