on 18 December 2006
I never realised that a person who has an interest in cars which is more than regarding them as an applicance could actually be quite so interesting and witty, (why don't people have the same enthusiasm for electric drills, spin dryers, paper shredders, food blenders or hoovers as they do for cars???) Cars:-yawn! Clarkson on Cars:-ZZZZ! Top Gear:- Snore! However, "The World According to Clarkson":-wakey wakey!! This is a good book which I was surpirised to enjoy. I had decided that the moment he started ranting on about cars I would finish reading the book immediately but that moment never came. Instead Clarkson shows that there is more to him than writing or broadcasting about cars, indeed he is a clever and very witty writer whose observations of life range from the thought provoking to the refreshingly confrontational but all, even his chapter on cricket about which we profoundly disagree, are very humorous. I read this book last summer on holiday and it was perfect for this purpose. Nice short chapters in case a dip in the sea, a beer or an MP3 session beckoned. Heartily recommended- and (thankfully) not a car in sight!!!
7 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2014
Humorous as always, another great read from Mr Clarkson!
on 14 October 2016
Typical Clarkson wit. Good read.
on 4 December 2006
I have never been a huge fan of Mr Clarkson, we disagree fundamentally on how interesting cars can be and as such I've never been into Top Gear. I was thrown this book because my housemate decided that Jeremy Clarkson was the only man in Britain more appalled with modern life than I am.

From page one through to the end, this book is fantastically funny. I can imagine it is a bonus to know a bit about the man, but you can hear the voice in the writing. Angry ranting blends wonderfully with sarcastic caustic observations that left me laughing outloud on more than one occasion. I highly recommend this book if you feel annoyed with life in general.Sadly I haven't cultured an interest in cars - but I do now watch Top Gear (begrudgingly though)
5 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2011
Completely hilarious but spot on with his no nonsense attitude. Clarkson for Prime Minister....He'd get my vote every time! The mans a legend.
on 21 December 2005
I bought this book just before the summer for light reading on the aeroplane. It turned out to be THE funniest book I think I have ever read. I know that Clarkson's wit and humour aren't for everyone, but they both really hit the spot this August.
If you're me, you'll love it.
One person found this helpful
on 10 November 2005
To summarise the content, the book is made up of articles with Jeremy Clarkson has written over the last couple of years, each discussing another area of his experiences.
I found this book really versitile. If you want you can sit down and read it straight, however I thought that its much better to have a flick through and read the articles that catch your eye. Clarkson's anecdotes are very funny and I was often caught laughing out loud to my embarressment. Even though he is a very strong tory, some of his views are hilarious, I recommend this to anyone who is looking for some light-hearted enjoyment.
25 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2004
Right wing. Juvenile. Even silly at points. This is Clarkson at his best. His musings on the world range from incredibly funny (making you wish you could dream up lines like his), to very moving (when he talks about the last flight of the Concorde). This book takes the inner thoughts all people have but are too afraid to voice, grabs them by the scruff of the neck, then boots them up the backside and into the open. A wonderful book to read and great for a laugh. However this is not for the feint hearted.
35 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2006
Having once read in a British tabloid the, some would say distasteful, critique of the back seat of a Skoda as "even Doublas Bader would feel cramped" I had to jump, Bader-like, on the Clarkson bandwagon. His humour is VERY British without apology...and I simply found it very funny. I have relegated it to the shelf next to a toilet, but find it helps what is a VERY British source of humourous activity pass with pleasure. Beats '70s humour hands down.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 November 2006
I like Clarkson's syle, so I wanted to see what he's on about in his book. So I bought it but I didn't expect to find what I found. He has a special way of writing that I haven't seen anywhere. I found myself agreeing with most of his ideas, but mainly I found myself laughing at the solutions he brings to the day-to-day problems that one could encounter. It is undoubtedly a great book and a great laugh and it will make you read it as quickly as possible.
13 people found this helpful