on 12 March 2013
Crystal has this enviable ability to explain what is fundamentally complex clearly and comprehensively. Language and languages were my professional business when working. I just wish that much of what he has to say had been available when I was still active in the field. His comments on what should be taught in schools are especially valuable as the UK at last seems to be stirring out of its linguistic imperialism and indolence. Should be required reading for all involved in teaching.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2016
This book was recommended to support an Open University module I was studying. As such, it made for an interesting read but, like a lot of the texts I read for the module, it can get a bit heavy at times. However it served its purpose and I managed to pass the course, so I should perhaps give thanks to author David Crystal for his insight into language!
on 23 December 2017
Bought it for my Boyfriend. He really enjoyed it, The few pages I got to read from it make it a very interesting and easy read.
on 17 December 2014
Very interesting, often fun, written in classic Crystal style. Wonderful.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2013
As with all books by David Crystal - a serious subject explained in a fascinating way and with added humour throughout - a must for all students of languages and English at school and university....
5 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2017
Fantastic! Very easy reading.
on 9 October 2015
He is good on phonetics in particular. Remaining chapters (about 75% if book) are a bit thin on content.
No parse trees/phrase structure diagrams which Pinker does have.
I think you need a spread of authors to get a good feel for linguistics. (I have 2 years of a PhD in Computational Linguistics).
See my review of Guy Deutscher's book.
on 8 November 2013
an accompaniment to my OU course. Insightful read into how language works and would recommend to anyone interested in the subject or studying at A level or above.
on 24 November 2014