Customer reviews

The Architecture of Happiness
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 July 2017
I loved this book. I loved this book. I loved this book.

I don't really know much about architecture, but Alain de Botton writes so cleanly and beautifully you just get sucked into the majesty of it. It provides a really fresh blueprint on appreciating beauty in general. I've found myself applying the concepts to everything from clothes to my choice of pen and preference of carpet. The abundant use of pictures really aids the digestion of the knowledge. I found myself seeing the pictures and then thinking exactly what de Botton would subsequently write. Def will keep revisiting and revisiting, a special book.

If you are fascinated by art and culture, and want to gain further insights, can't go wrong.
on 7 September 2016
This is possibly Botton's best book
on 13 February 2017
great book at great price
on 27 May 2017
alain de botton is a great writer in my view
on 8 December 2015
Beautifully written.
on 26 March 2015
Top notch
on 3 November 2015
Very good...lovely book
on 27 December 2016
Brilliant read.

Would highly recommend for anyone interested or someone studying architecture.
on 13 October 2016
My sister found this book fascinating, I read a little bit it before wraping it up as a present. Very interesting in how we choose things based on our personalities/mood
on 12 March 2014
When I was a child we used to have long walks with my parents (both architects) along the streets of my home town and listen to them discuss almost every building, every design choice and ornament we walked pass. Since then I got used to walking the streets looking up at the buildings (this resulted in stepping inside numerous puddles, dogs business and never finding any coins) and I thought that I could really "see" a building.
After reading this book I discovered a whole new way of "looking" at architecture. I discovered that psychology of a building do exist. It's in a way a building speaks to it's surroundings, it's in the way it's windows doors and other elements co-exist.
In this book Alain asks questions like, why we consider some things beautiful. What is elegance. And what buildings say about the times they were build in, and what the don't say about people who live in them.
I think that anyone who deals with aesthetics should give this book a go, even if he doesn't find architecture particularly interesting. I can assure, you will find this book to be very stimulating.

I also looked up some of the authors Alain mentions and found some interesting titles to add to my reading list:
Wilhelm Worringer - "Abstraction and Empathy: A Contribution to the Psychology of Style"
Rudolf Arnheim - "Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye"