Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2011
I bought this for Kindle based on reading the sample, which was the first chapter and a few pages of the second. Unfortunately, I found that the sample was actually the only interesting part of the book, and I would have been better off just enjoying it and not actually paying for the rest.

I would say this book is just a big compilation of trivia regarding the subject of how humans make decisions or state preferences. The book starts slowing down after chapter 2, and then grinds to a slow halt the further you go along. What was once an engaging page turner, becomes a groanfest of 'is he going to make a point yet?' And really, he never does.

This is, in short, the kind of book that I feel obligated to finish, rather than finish because I am enjoying myself. If I had bought it in paper form, no doubt I would have just skipped to the last chapter after reading chapter 2, rolled my eyes in disgust and tucked the receipt back into the book to return it to the store the next day for an exchange! In fact, seeing as how I really can't bear to read any more of it, I think I will ask Amazon for a refund and get something I will actually enjoy.
on 2 January 2017
I enjoyed reading this psychological book. The Power of Thinking without Thinking actually taught me a lot, something that I can actually use in my day-to-day life which is very interesting.
I liked Malcolm Gladwell (is this considered thin slicing?) as soon as I started to read thefirst chapter, he made this book interesting and simple without over complicating things, without using big, difficult words (although the facial movement chapter was using loads of science names for each muscle which lost me).
The only thing is sometimes the book was like 'thin slicing is good' ... 'no it's bad, look see?' but I guess it's all about reading the situation first but then that's not thin slicing is it? Anyway, I liked this book, I do like psychology so I maybe a lil' bias there!
x
on 6 July 2017
I'm glad it's not just me!

I'm 80% through it on my Kindle and have been for over a week now. I just want it to reach a conclusion, or make the point it sets out to do. Although, I think it made that point in the first chapter and now I feel like I'm just reading anecdote after anecdote to back up that point.

I really wanted to love this book. I use my gut to make the majority of my decisions at home and at work. I'm not a data driven person at all and when someone recommended this book to me saying it was amazing and would help me make sense of my decision making process I couldn't wait to get started. Now I just want it to end. I need to finish it so that I can rest happily that I didn't miss anything, but my gut instinct tells me that I won't.

It gets off to a good start but never seems to quite deliver on it's promise and doesn't seem to progress or build particularly. Maybe there's some huge revelation waiting for in the last few pages. We'll have to wait and see. This is not a pleasant read though. When I read books like this I like to feel like I'm learning something, that isn't the case so far and if it is saving something for the end, that's just a little bit late in the day for me.
on 29 December 2016
I have to say I was a little disappointed with this book, to the point that I did not finish it. It did not hold my attention due to it being very repetitive.
on 1 February 2015
very informative
on 12 February 2015
Not worth the read
on 13 September 2015
Would not recommend.
on 23 April 2017
For me one of the influential writers of the Late twentieth century He should be required reading for any student doubting themselves
on 2 February 2017
Good book, interesting topic and I relish the way that Malcolm uses real life case studies and examples within Blink - the reason that I don't feel this book deserves the full five stars and a clean sweep in terms of review is down to the way it peters out. Unfortunately, many literary geniuses have yet to understand how to end a book, Blink, has just that issue; the ending is tame and there is no real outcome provided.

So whilst this is a fascinating read and I would recommend it to you it is not imperative that you stick with it until the bitter end.
on 31 May 2017
Excellent reading - well worth the price!