Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2000
A simple to use Dictionary of Biological terms, covering all aspects of biology. The descriptions of the scientific terms used are clear and concise, not confusing as can happen with textbook longwinded descriptions.
on 27 December 2013
This is eleventh edition of this dictionary. It started in 1951 with first edition, which I bought from e-bay too, and it only is 260 page long and a bit smaller, containg up to 2000 terms. This eleventh edition is 750 pages long containg over 6000 terms. It's obviously very succesful book from beginning, only by the fact that almost each edition followed two or three re-prints. Also this eleventh edition is from 2004, and since then there hasn't been new one, so it sort of says that this time they hit the nail properly, and this piece of work will stay as the time-approved body of knowledge on the topic of biology.

I went through each word, marking those I know, and big part is dedicated to classification, and description of different phylla, orders, classes, etc. Then big chunk explain protein synthesis, with enzymes and all important in metabolism and biochemisty. The book is refered to professionals, as well as to students or amateur biologists. There is a lots of beautiful diagrams and illustrations, which are really helpful in explaining some of the complex phenomena as simply as possible.

I've seen a similar dictionary of biology, but Oxford not Penguin. Didn't check it properly, but it's probably very similar in content and very deep in some topics. Here. after every word, there is a number of word, that are mostly related to it, so it's possible to read and get deeper into each topic. If you go by those related words, you can quite possibly figure out a lots of things about embryology, endocriminology, biochemistry, nutrition, ecology, immunology, zoology, human physiology, genetics, and so on. Really helpful and fascinating reading.
on 21 May 2002
This is a great addition to anybodies personal library. The first thing that struck me about this dictionary are the suggestions for further reading at the bottom of almost each entry. This dictionary is so thorough that I find myself flicking from one entry to another reading them like chapters in a novel at times.
on 30 December 2009
I bought this for my Girl Friend, and we have looked up a variety of words that have come up at Uni and this book didnt have it but the Oxford Dictionary of Biology did... what can i say.... Oxford seems to be better! The Oxford is also bigger and slightly cheaper - do i need to say more...
on 4 May 2011
This book was bought primarily for my grandson who is struggling with his AS level Biology. (I retired from teaching the subject 10 years ago and could not locate my own copy and in any case, I felt that something more up to date might be needed.) I was not able to look at a copy locally so bought it without seeing it; I should have realised from some of the reviews I had read beforehand that the content would be quite advanced and it is in fact really of degree standard. It is not possible to recommend it for A level students partly for this reason but also because it does not list many of the more basic definitions they might want to source.
on 27 February 2012
I bought this dictionary for my daughter. She is an IB Diploma student. she is very happy with it as it explains all the terms that she can't understand...Very pleased with the purchase!
on 5 August 2014
A handy Science text! Look up Contractile Vacuole, interesting plant hypothesis!
on 30 April 2016
Very useful for Biology degree and teaching science!
on 19 January 2015
We've found it extremely useful, well done.
on 11 April 2016