Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2013
Knowing this story as well as I do, (how many times has it been filmed now?) I was a little surprised to realise that I had never read the oriiginal. The first thing that struck me was how un-sci fi it was in tone. It's a first person story, very firmly located in its time period and the south of England, and the way that a confident and comfortable society is thrown into chaos and terror in such a short time is superbly captured.
There is an intensity and pathos to the writing that makes me wonder how the Hollywood film adaptations were able to ignore it!
on 5 May 2013
Firstly, I have to say that the book bears no real resemblence to the film or the 1938 Orson Welles radio broadcast, although they were clearly taken from the book. So I was surprised, a quinessentially English book set in the South East of England was re-written into the radio play that caused chaos in America.

Especially considering that this was written at the end of the 19th century, it is a truly great bit of science fiction. I don't normally like sci-fi but everyone should make time for this short and beautifully written book.
on 24 February 2012
Never having read a Wells book before, i was excited to get into WOTW.

It was not what i expected, it was even better than that.

Firstly, the way he writes is magical, his use of words and sentences to form stories is incomparable to anyone else. Very poetic i thought, so eloquent, no one really writes like that anymore.

Now onto the book. I wont waste your time by trying to review it. What i will say is that it is a very good read, powerful in places, and gripping, in fact i barely put the book down i was so engrossed with it.

If you have never read a H G Wells before, i wholeheartedly suggest you do so, just reading his words is a joy that is beyond compare.
on 3 June 2013
Probably one of the first scifi stories I knew.
The fact that H.G.Wells wrote his stories so long ago, in what by comparison today could be classed as quite archaic (antiquated) times, speaks volumes as to the imagination this man could bring forth.
I have a large collection of his works in hardback, but had sadly misplaced this story along the way, probably moving house at some time.
I was very pleased to see this Kindle version of it, and I wonder what he would have made of his work being able to be purchased and read in this way.
Wonderful story, brilliant author.
on 28 April 2013
Perhaps it's partly to do with the fact that I have read many of H G Wells' books or because I used to live close to Woking, where the Matians landed, this is a true classic of a book and although the Americans have tried to make movies of this story, unsuccessfully , I'm afraid, this is a wonderful story told only the way that H G Wells could tell a story. It is told in the first person and it gets you really believeing that you're there alongside the story teller.
I would recommend it as a classic to anyone.
on 30 July 2013
The war of the world's is a deep, dark, Victorian novel of psychological fear and loathing. It says a great deal about the Victorian literary mind set, and the possibility that somewhere lay a species more cunning than the British imperialist.
It is also a novel about that other Victorian totem, that which dominated the lives of so many, premature and agonising death, both that of the human population as well as the Martian.
A grand narrative then, and one which still resonates in the works of authors such as J G Ballard, as well as in early 70s Doctor Who.
on 23 September 2013
Ok so I have grown up with WOTW audit play, watched the dodgy 1980s an 90s films and I decided it was time to return to the original text. I felt the very matter of fact narrative work really well at placing the reader in an era of the stiff upper lip Victorian gentleman. The level of detail in his wanderings had me wanting to reach for the A2Z to follow his route and to place him in the modern land scape. I will still enjoy the audio play and will now be able to paint in other parts of the story that it omits and to remember the modern day additions that have been used to embellish it.
on 9 December 2013
Simply great stuff.

You've seen the lame Tom Cruise film and heard the Jeff Wayne music. This is the book that inspired them - and what a book.
It is written in a different style and language that we are used to now, of course, but this only seems to add to the flavour of the story being told. It is also surprising how different the original story is to the version we trhink of today.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read and is happy to open their mind to something a bit different.
on 7 October 2015
Excellent graphic adaptation. The Martians and their fighting machines are excellently rendered in this comic-book re-telling of the H.G.Wells classic. My only quibble with this is that clearly the artist didn't have many Victorian-era resource images to work with, as the architecture, street layouts and clothing look suspiciously modern at times.
on 27 January 2015
A few years ago I was sitting on a train next to a man reading a book, he was so engrossed, that I couldn't help glancing over his shoulder to see what he was reading. This was during my "before I started to read fiction period" - I'm dyslexic and so took to reading fiction late in life. It turned out he was reading this book and because it mentioned places I knew (Isleworth and Putney Hill) it interested me. The strange reasons we start to read a book. This is now one of my favourite books. I have read it more times than I can count.