Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2017
Loved it, just loved it. One of Lisa,s earlier novels I know and I have come late to it, having read all her later ones. Wonderful characters as always. How does she conjure them up and give them such life. Tremendous gift. I wanted to carry on reading about Vince and Joy, but sadly had to leave it where it was. I think that is fair enough. I would of course love a sequel..
on 4 March 2017
Absolutely loved this book from beginning to end.
The characters are brilliant.
A well written very sweet story.
Love LIsa Jewell
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 February 2016
Vince and Joy is very much a story of your first love. In a way it reminded me of the film Sliding Doors, apart from unfortunately for Vince and Joy there is no parallel life.

From their first meeting, Vince and Joy look set to having a promising relationship. Unfortunately something happens and Joy disappears in the middle of the night. Joy leaves a note for Vince but due to the rain, Vince can't make out what it says. From this point in, Vince and Joy seem to make thoughtless decisions when it comes to future relationships. They seem to just settle for second best and it is obvious that it is going to end in disaster.

I really loved both Vince and Joy. They are not perfect, they are human. They make mistakes but they pick themselves up and dust themselves down. I didn't know if fate was being unkind to them having them bump into each other only for them to go off on their own way again. I felt very much like Bella in the story and wanted to knock their heads together so they would wake up from the stupor they seemed to be in.

Reading about how both of them met and the whole array of feelings they had for each other brings so many feelings and memories back for the reader of their first love. I mean do we ever truly forget our first love? Every now and again don't we think of them and wonder what they are doing, if they have met someone else and are they happy? A first love can have such an impact on our lives and the author has created a heart warming story with lovely characters that gives readers hope that if true love is meant to be, regardless of time and distance, if two people are meant to be together then at some point in their lives it will happen.
on 16 August 2005
This book had me gripped from page 1, I have read all of Lisa Jewell's other books and this one is, in my opinion, her best book. I read the book in 2 days and 'got in to it' so much that I feel that now i've finished reading the book i'm missing the characters and would love her to write a sequel. It's so much better than just 'Chick Lit' - Men would love this book too!!
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2005
As a huge fan of Ms Jewell's I bought this book to read whilst on holiday and I must say that it did not disappoint - in fact, I finished it within two days! Great characterisation, likeable characters, who Jewell doesn't feel the need to make too perfect, which is a common fault with quite a few 'chick lit' authors. The passage throughout the book seemed to follow a natural pace, unlike Cecilia Aherne's 'Chasing Rainbows', which was very strange in places! There's quite a few twists and turns along the way, but stick with it and I promise you that you'll enjoy the book immensely.
on 18 August 2006
From the story and history of the author's other works, this novel looks like a chick-lit offering. And to a certain extent it fits comfortably within this genre. I was recommended it by a male friend of mine and finished it in one day - two sittings. The characters and situations are wonderfully drawn. The insight into human relationships and how these can change over time was tearful and joyful within a few pages. I think Miss Jewell took a lot of the scenarios from real life - her own experiences. A real joy to read. I recommend it highly!
on 27 February 2006
Cuddly chick lit from the tape-to-tape generation.
Vince and Joy met in the mid Eighties whilst in their late teens. Years, careers, aspirations and relationships went by. Every now and again circumstance would bring them together, then drag them apart.
We join Vince in the early hours (and late bottles) of a Sunday morning at a friend's dinner party. This dinner party narrative cleverly navigates the journey through Vince and Joy's twenties and early thirties.
Beautifully written, an easy read. Couldn't put it down.
on 22 January 2006
This was a really really wonderful book to read. The irony throughout left me gripping onto the pages and sometimes wanting to rip them out! After Joy & Vince meet in a caravan park and experience what appears to be love&lust at first sight, they experience together everything they've never had with anyone, all in a matter of a few days. The overwhelming transition from puberty into an adult leaves them to develop relationships with others throughout their lives - even though at the back of their mind, because they never said a proper goodbye, they still are left clinging onto what could have been. This nostalgia turns into reality as both Vince & Joy find themselves closer and closer to being together, but then so suddenly hat opportunity is taken away from them.
It's an awesome book, and if fate exists, let it exist the way it's been written in this book. Buy it, Read it, Treasure it. Well done Lisa Jewell - I LOVE your work!
on 1 March 2006
Absolutely brilliant makes you want to shout out loud at the twists and turns of the plot. Switches from one character to the other so you are aware of how they are both feeling and so have a real desire for it to work out in the end causing you to keep on reading until you get there and believe me you wont be disappointed by the end!
on 14 January 2007
This is a fantastic book and I couldn't put it down. I don't think I would class it as chick lit as it seems to step out of the whole cliche of Marketing Exec meets new boss, who has more than one woman on the go.. It is also very refreshing to read a mans pov... Well done again Lisa and hurry up with writing your next novel as I among a lot of your other fans are eager to buy it..

:0)