Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 19 October 2017
I'm struggling to see why this book has had such raves reviews. A lot of the narrative assumes a prior knowledge and key events like Asquith's premiership ending in 1916 are barely covered. Much is in very high level detail, due no doubt to the space to cover a dense period of history. I would have preferred something double the length and more detail. As a history graduate (many years ago!) I was slightly disappointed with this book and it would make me think twice before buying any others in the series.
on 28 June 2012
I am afraid that my enjoyment of Professor Clarke's explanation of British history over the course of a tumultuous 20th Century was ruined by a 'plague' of typographic errors. I am pretty sure that Professor Clarke himself is not responsible for these errors and can only hope that Penguin or Amazon rectify them and re-issue the Kindle version of this book very soon. But for these errors, I would have given the book at least four stars out of five.
on 8 June 2015
I bought this book as part of my history degree reading material. This book is good if you want a quick synopsis on what happened in specific events. Also good for confirming facts and figures. However for the obvious reason that the book is short to cover a 100 year time span it does place limitations on its use for more in-depth analysis that is required at university level. That being said the book came in very useful for me when I was writing my essays!!
on 28 November 2013
I haven't finished it yet, but it has revived my interest in that part of our history, much of which I remember although probably at the time I did not realise the significance of many incidents.
on 9 October 2013
Prompt delivery and a very useful book. This book serves the purpose very well. I would recommend the book as well as the supplier
on 12 June 2015
Used for history A level got an A*
on 24 October 2015
Great condition
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2009
I feel at least one second opinion is necessary to balance the earlier, somewhat intemperate review. Peter Clarke's book is pitched at exactly the right level for the general reader interested in modern history - the kind of reader, indeed, for whom Penguin Books were designed in the first place. This account offers a comprehensive panorama of the Twentieth century, and pays as much attention to social and economic factors as to the political history of the period from 1900 to 2000. Given that politics is often covered in highly partisan terms, Clarke offers here a balanced and reasonable picture of the main personalities which most people will find not only convincing but also historically just.
on 20 September 2016
Well written review of major issues of 20th century Britain
Does leave major blanks to follow up - will keep me busy on this
on 6 November 2014