VINE VOICEon 27 January 2009
I feel at least one second opinion is necessary to balance the earlier, somewhat intemperate review. Peter Clarke's book is pitched at exactly the right level for the general reader interested in modern history - the kind of reader, indeed, for whom Penguin Books were designed in the first place. This account offers a comprehensive panorama of the Twentieth century, and pays as much attention to social and economic factors as to the political history of the period from 1900 to 2000. Given that politics is often covered in highly partisan terms, Clarke offers here a balanced and reasonable picture of the main personalities which most people will find not only convincing but also historically just.
on 8 June 2015
I bought this book as part of my history degree reading material. This book is good if you want a quick synopsis on what happened in specific events. Also good for confirming facts and figures. However for the obvious reason that the book is short to cover a 100 year time span it does place limitations on its use for more in-depth analysis that is required at university level. That being said the book came in very useful for me when I was writing my essays!!
on 31 October 2009
I read the first edition, covering 1900-1990, before I knew very much about British history. As an American, I initially felt a bit lost, not having heard about corn laws, free-traders and such. However, I never found the book dull; it simply made me need to dig a bit deeper into the recent past before 1900, to put it in context. Even while getting over the initial difficulties of understanding, I was enthralled by this informative and interesting book.

After finishing it, I was hoping the book would be updated to complete the century. So I am very pleased to have found the new edition!
on 28 June 2012
I am afraid that my enjoyment of Professor Clarke's explanation of British history over the course of a tumultuous 20th Century was ruined by a 'plague' of typographic errors. I am pretty sure that Professor Clarke himself is not responsible for these errors and can only hope that Penguin or Amazon rectify them and re-issue the Kindle version of this book very soon. But for these errors, I would have given the book at least four stars out of five.
on 31 January 2016
There's some wear and tear to the book, specifically it looks like it contains water damage to the cover. Therefore the overall appearence of the book isn't very good, but it isn't falling apart so that's good and it is used so it could be a lot worse.
on 12 June 2015
Used for history A level got an A*
on 28 November 2013
I haven't finished it yet, but it has revived my interest in that part of our history, much of which I remember although probably at the time I did not realise the significance of many incidents.
on 24 October 2015
Great condition
on 18 April 2015
A most excellent review of the 20th Century and the impact of the First World War which had lasting effects on the politics of Europe.
on 9 October 2013
Prompt delivery and a very useful book. This book serves the purpose very well. I would recommend the book as well as the supplier