Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(5 star). See all 115 reviews
on 25 July 2017
Greene manages to make incredible complexity just about accessible even to low-brow idiots like me, and without making it too patronising. It's a tough read and I confess I did find it very hard work, but well worth the effort. I benefited from re-reading each section several times before moving on in order for it to sink in, so not a quick page-turner. Needs time (no pun intended)!
on 14 September 2016
Great book. Don't understand most of it but keep trying. Well worth it if you brain can take it
on 26 April 2017
This is an excellent account of modern thinking about cosmology. Always diffcicult when you can't actually begin to visulaise the mathematical models, but Brian Greene himself admits that even he can't do this. I think this book does move further on from some similar accounts, perhaps to the extent that it demystifies some issues.But it's good to know that the old issue about the water in a spinning bucket is still a relevant question!
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2004
If you're interested in the latest thinking of how the universe works and are prepared to put some serious mental effort into understanding it, you'll love this book.
It is written in extremely good english and explains some very difficult concepts superbly. I've read Hawkins' books and to be honest, Brian Greene puts him to shame in the quality of explanations.
It is a rare person who could so comprehensively understand all the subject matter of this book and also have sufficient mastery of the english language to write about it in an understandable way. He also manages to make it humerous in places, with the Simpsons making a few cameo appearances.
on 30 May 2014
This book is truly excellent!
The ability of Brian Greene to express the amazing mysteries of Physics and the Cosmos is the sine qua non of articulation!
This book should be a standard school textbook!
People like Brian Greene and Brian Cox have the ability to excite youngsters in the world's most exciting mysteries.
Pity that churches do not embrace the beauty of nature!
on 19 September 2014
Amazing reading. I have read it twice and will do so again sometime too!
on 8 December 2004
Unreservedly a fantastic book. With no math but brilliant analogies you get an understanding of: quantum mechanics, big-bang, inflation, space - time, branes, strings, relativity and much more and all wonderfully explained so that you can even get a hang on multi-dimensionality (11 space/time dimensions at that!).
And the thorny problem of light speed comes over well together with the nature of time's arrow. What more can you ask? You know I feel that mathematicians also need good analogies - how on earth can you get a grip on reality (even quantum reality) solely from equations?
on 5 July 2013
A brainy Chilean girl, living in Peru, asked me to get her this book as she couldn't get it in Lima. Sounds highly intellectual to me!
on 29 January 2016
I love this book. Brian Greene manages to make some incredibly complex physics comprehensible to anyone reading this. Each chapter draws on a different area of physics to contribute to his argument that there could well be a Theory of Everything. He does an incredible job of explaining the key experiments that bear out his arguments (and I particularly enjoyed the one about the Quantum Eraser), and provides rich context for the work of geniuses such as Newton, Einstein and Hawking in a way that captivates the reader. This has to be one of my favourite books of any kind, and certainly my favourite science book. A must for anyone who wants to understand more about our universe.
on 14 March 2006
Just before reading this book I finished reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, and, though I found it fascinating, it left me feeling unsatisfied - too many topics touched upon and not expanded; too many questions I already had not touched upon at all. All the questions that book left me with, this book answered...and that was before I'd made it half-way. This book opened the world of physics up for me imaginatively, authoritatively and simply, clearly explaining concepts that should be far beyond me. I can not reccommend it enough. Just got to get my girlfriend interested now.
22 Comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse