Comfort and Joy
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2011
Imagine a room full of self confident, braying, superficial and smartly dressed people, clutching Champagne glasses and kicking small children out of the way. These are the people whose three Christmasses we learn about in Comfort and Joy.

My oh my, what cliched middle-class nonsense.

India Knight has a fine ear for dialogue and the dinner party bust up, where everyone falls out in spectacular style, is well captured. But these people are so self absorbed and so patronising of Sam's "working class" mother Pat, I couldn't warm to any of them. A toast at the end is supposed to make us think "aahhh how lovely" but I was bristling on Pat's behalf. I particularly took issue with the asumption that the rest of the family were somehow more well evolved because they could be friends after divorces, or because they could endlessly discuss their angst with each other. Pat's family, we were told, were unable to share emotions, except to brutally fall out with each other after divorce, hurting the children in the process.

I certainly wouldn't to rub shoulders with this lot again, and confine them all to the cargo hold along with all their trunks and other excess baggage.
I loved this for many reasons. I love this writer, funny and warm, I love the characters set up in 'my life on a plate'. I also love Christmas in all it's mad ways you panic spend on people and obsessively try to win parental affection every year, and fail. This is a fab book to start reading on December 17th.
on 7 December 2012
I'd never read India Knight before, but last year before Christmas, I fancied something seasonal and picked up Comfort and Joy.

And what a joy the book was! I could really identify with Clara, who on the day before Christmas Eve, stressed and laden with shopping, decides to leave Oxford Street and instead allow herself the luxury of a solitary pre-Christmas drink at the posh London hotel, The Connaught. The drink turns out not to be so solitary, and the perfect family Christmas Clara has been planning and working so hard to achieve, is also full of surprises.

Comfort and Joy is a really enjoyable read, which I've recommended to all my friends.
on 25 October 2015
This book was spoilt by the bad language and continual harping on sex, sex, sex. It's a shame because the plot was good, and I liked the style of writing, and could identify with the main character's Christmas dilemmas. I was so put off that half-way through I stopped reading it and deleted it from my Kindle. India Knight has talent; pity she demeans herself.
on 4 December 2016
Don't bother. Would have given it zero stars if I could. Horrible characters and unrealistic- do the children never misbehave?
on 22 April 2011
I have read India Knight's other novels and was so excited when I saw this. But it is a real disappointment. Mainly because I loved My Life on a Plate and this is the sequel, it misses out characters and I was generally disappointed by the storyline. Furthermore, her other books are continuously laugh out loud funny whereas this only made me laugh once or twice.
on 16 January 2013
Reintroduces Clara from "My Life On A Plate" several years later, and is just as much of a comfort read as the earlier book.

I'm already familiar with, and generally fond of, India Knight's world view and tone of voice and both are very much in evidence here. It's quite hard not to see this as wholly autobiographical although apparently it's only partially so.

Either way it's funny and sweet and posh and opinionated and quite reminiscent of Nancy Mitford, and I really liked it.
on 19 November 2015
An excellent Christmassy book
on 5 July 2014
Comfort and Joy was delightful, funny and captivating.
on 11 January 2016