on 9 March 2015
Its came fairly quick I enjoyed the book good read
on 9 April 2015
bought it for a footy fan he was pleased with it.
on 12 September 2002
I'd never read a footballer related biography before and if this book is indicative of the genre, it will be a long time before I ever read one again. This book is dull.
Its the lack of detail and any insight into Roy's life that lets the books down. The forward to the book gives away the reason as Roy thanks the sports statistician for all his hard work.
A typical chapter would look like...
'...then we played QPR, we won 1-0, I scored. Then we played Palace, we won 2-0, then we played Newcastle, tricky but we won 2-1..... etc etc
After 300 pages I was tearing my hair out. I wanted to know what drives him, where he gets his inspiration. Failing this, a few anecdotes about players out on the sauce would have sufficed.
The world cup shenanigins is covered towards the end, but offers little above what was in the papers.
The drama surrounding Roy's contract extension with Man U is covered in one sentence. One sentence, for the topic that dominated the sports headlines for nine months. Lack of detail!
If like me, you admire him as a player and you wanted to know what was behind the hype and the controversy, you will be dissappointed. Dissapointed because it could have offered so much more.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2015
My son-in-law was delighted with his present
on 10 September 2002
I bought this book for two reasons, 1. Because I am a big Roy Keane and Manchester United fan. 2.As its been the cause of conterversy and big news stories. But I was somewhat disapointed. The most juicy bits of the book have already been serialised in the newspapers therefore there is no shock value left, Without this shock value this is no more than a standard footballers autobiography thats been done a thousand times before. It has little interesting to offer apart from Keane using the book to air his views on everyone he dislikes. I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of football and Roy Keane or to those who havent read the newspapers or watched the news for the past month and a half. But I cant see it being to anybody elses taste. Not awfull just disapointing after all the hype.
on 27 August 2014
Great product, great delivery.thanks
on 22 January 2016
keane, does what is says on the tin
on 27 July 2015
Everything as described thank you
on 14 December 2014
A good read nearly finished it.
on 2 September 2002
And so it's here, the long awaited autobiography of English (and Irish) soccer's Mr Bad Guy. It's likely if you're a mad Man United fan you'll probably lap this up and see it as some sort of vindication that, given the continuing controversy surrounding Keane on the Premiership and the World Cup stages, Keane has done nothing wrong and has been misunderstood and misrepresented. At least that's what he attempts to state here and, with ghost writer Eamon Dunphy obviously goading him on to be as controversial as possible, Keane emerges as someone who is more convinced by his own press than the rest of us. We're expected to go along with his justification of some outrageous on the pitch behaviour because that's just Keane and even if he does go out of his way to end the odd player's career, sure isn't that just his way? Shouldn't everybody understand that you don't rub him the wrong way or there's bound to be consequences?
So the predictable targets are lined up, muppets all (or so Keane believes): Charlton, McCarthy, Dalgliesh, etc, etc. Brian Clough emerges with some respect and this book will confirm once and for all that Ferguson is nothing short of Christ reincarnated because his man Keane has nothing bad to say about him.
All of this vitriol certainly makes for an easy read, as does the writing style which is pitched somewhere between a children's picture book and Roy of the Rovers. But Keane, in my view, emerges as even more self-centred, inexplicably disrespectful to all and sundry, and arrogant beyond belief.
And, one last point: if you're interested in what he has to say about Ireland and the World Cup controversy, it's already been printed in the tabloids. This section of the book feels like an add-on, quickly written and poorly edited, and padded out with a reproduction of Keane's interview with The Irish Times' Tom Humphries. We all know that Mick McCarthy wasn't exactly blameless in the whole Saipan affair but you'd better reading Paul Howard's much more enlightening and entertaining book, "The Gaffers", for an unbiased account of that episode and leave this average rant for the die hard Man United / Roy Keane / Alex Ferguson nuts!