on 21 March 2015
I really agree with the concept of a fourth trimester, and a lot of Dr Karp's ideas resonated with me. I could see how his theory that babies are overwhelmed and confused for a good few months really applied to my daughter, and it was lovely to see her growing out of this phase and becoming more alert over time.

This book gave me realistic expectations of what to expect from my daughter, and it encouraged me to treat her with the care she needed in those early days. It is written in a repetitive style, however, and Dr Karp's technique for "calming" a crying baby does stop the tears, but I wouldn't say my daughter was better for it - it just seemed to overwhelm her senses and make her go quiet. So a desirable end goal, but it felt like a party trick rather than a baby-led, caring technique and we only used it a handful of times.

Using white noise and putting my daughter in a sling felt like a more in-tune, caring way to help her block out sensory overload!
on 1 August 2015
Found this book really invaluable, especially the swaddling which we use now to settle our little one to sleep, works like a charm.
on 20 February 2016
good
on 21 February 2018
Incredibly helpful book - so glad it was recommended to me
on 11 March 2015
Great
on 15 February 2007
This book is something everybody who has a baby must own. Amazing!! Tried everthing in the book and they all worked. Think I would have lost the plot without it. Brillaint ways to calm your baby and help her sleep for longer. Amazing!!
on 15 June 2015
good book
on 14 April 2009
I borrowed this book from a friend before I had my first baby. It was so invaluable that I had to buy a copy the second time round. It is brilliant. The bits about the fourth trimester make absolute sense and really allowed me to see the first three months from my baby's perspective. I don't know how I would have managed without it. I would have probably muddled through, but I felt much more confident having read it.
on 10 June 2010
We bought the book and the dvd "Happiest Baby on the Block" and as soon as we put his techniques into practice our baby's temprament changed, he started sleeping longer at night time and he no longer cries for long periods during the day. I just wish I had bought this book when my 1st son was born. A lot of people put their baby's crying down to colic and really it's because we have lost the art of calming our babies and Dr Karp shows us how to do this.
on 22 July 2013
The book is interesting with good tips on soothing your newborn for the first 3 months. No idea if they work as our baby hasn't arrived yet but will try them out when he does!