on 26 August 2003
Read this book whilst you are pregnant and then go back to share the moments just before the baby arrives. This book had me laughing out loud and filling up with tears all within a few pages.
It is great to hear such chit chat from the girls as though you were sitting with them, sharing a coffee and a cake. The stories you can relate to or just cringe on their behalf.
Thankfully my pregnany wasn't so book-worthy but I learnt some useful stuff from the girls and shared some of the more eeeky moments with my husband.
I have since gone on to enjoy the sequel though my first few months of parenting aren't quite as positive as Hilary and the gang.
Buy this book, sit back on the sofa, get a huge bar of chocolate and your favourite drink, rub your bump and enjoy.
on 9 January 2004
This book is a must have for people facing a first pregancy , I laughed so much it is so real makes you understand that you are not alone and that every pregnancy is different. What the text books dont tell you.
on 12 August 2003
I think I read this book in about a day. It is a wonderfully funny and honest account of actual people as they go through pregnancy. There are no holds barred in the descriptions and the book is enormously funny. A definite must for a pregnancy read. Tells you things that just aren't spoken about in the reference books.
on 5 April 2002
Anyone who is pregnant will tell you that there is a wealth of information out there. This book goes beyond the facts and figures and gets to the nitty-gritty on pregnancy, birth and the aftermath. Five women who met at an antenatal class create a unique bond in this book by their testimonials on all the questions you want to ask but were too afraid. Having read a fair bit of literature on pregnancy, I still learned new things that they just don't tell you in the reference books. The blood, the pain, the fears, the joys... I was amazed to find that many of the emotions expressed by these 'Fat Ladies' were my own, however ridiculous! Having just finished the book a few hours ago, it is still playing over in my head at 3.33am as I write this review. What must it have taken to bare their souls in this way? The simple and uncompromising truth to their words gives hope and inspiration. Pregnancy and birth are as old as time but it seems to be surrounded in misconceptions. This book tells it like it is in a refreshing and often comic way. Unfortunately, the book is littered with 'humorous' illustrations. I found them unnecessary but that's just my opinion. However, this book is a triumph for those who took the time to write it and a treasure for their children who will one day read this book with a greater understanding of who their mothers are. For the rest of us, this book is a great resource to compliment the research any expectant mother is undertaking. Thank you Fat Ladies, I salute you...
on 2 October 2003
Quite simply, the only book I read (and I read a few) that told it how it was. The personal journeys made by the authors reflect absolutely the feelings and experiences I had during my pregnancy.
on 14 August 2006
I first read this book six years ago when I was pregnant with my first baby! At times I laughed so much I had to throw the book out of the bed as I feared going into labour early! I've since read it with my subsequent two pregnancies and enjoyed it more with each read.

In fact this book, along with its sequel, Facing the First Five Years, were such a memorable pair that I now recommend them to anyone I know who is pregnant. I can't rate them highly enough. Beautifully written and extremely emotive I almost felt as if I was one of the group of friends. I only wish I had met such lovely people when I was first attending antenatal classes...
on 31 January 2014
I've read this four times throughout my pregnancy, I have less than 2 weeks to go and this book has been brilliant for me. think you for writing it. even if I do cry every time at the last bit
on 15 August 2002
This is the most truthful, fascinating and endearing book I have ever read on pregnanct.
I really got to know the characters, okay, what a sad ending, but I would have been miffed if they'd have left the sad part off the end...and it would have been disrespectful too.
Okay, so I've read the text-books, I have the low-down on pregnancy, but the honesty really shone through for me - thanks for telling it how it is! Girls, I can't wait for your next one!
on 18 January 2006
I am 14.5 weeks pregnant and this has been a useful read, particularly the stuff around birth and coping in the first few days after the child has been born. However, I didn't warm to any of the authors - the way they talk about other women in their NCT ante-natal class is horribly remniscent of a school classroom and doesn't exactly make me want to hurry to sign-up. They are all very rooted in their smug, middle-class existence, more worried about putting on weight and being unattractive to their husbands than anything else. I would only recommend it to a few people.
on 23 August 2013
Highly recommend this book! I loved it from start to finish. First read it 12 years ago, and now enjoying a second read.