Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2016
I'm in a macabre frame of mind and have been reading a lot of this genre.
So far this has been one of the better ones.
It's written by a journalist who has a real interest in what our outer shells can be used for once the mind and spirit have gone on to the next stage.
It's worth a read if your not easily upset and delicate.
on 1 April 2017
This is one of the first non fiction books I have read outside of University studies (I study history so this might be a surprising choice of book) but I have to say I was enthralled throughout. While possibly a little out of date now (I am reading this in 2017), this book made me really consider my own approach to death. Incredibly, considering the subject matter, I laughed many times at the wit of the author, and repeatedly exclaimed in astonishment at some of the things I learned. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone who has the slightest interest in the macabre.
on 9 March 2017
For all of those macabre lovers, you must buy this book.
some very interesting reading starting from stories in the past up till the present day.
on 26 August 2016
Oddly considering the subject matter a light and interesting way to look at those who donate their bodies to science.
on 11 March 2017
The most interesting book I have read this year (2017) !
Waiting for the scratch and sniff version to hit the shelves!!
on 26 April 2017
Funny but serious, detailed but decent.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2005
A well written and amusing book about what happens to the bits you leave behind. The author covers just about every method of 'disposal' from being used as a car crash dummy through to being composted. Some of the details may well put you off your food as well as leaving you unsure as to what you want done with your remains.
An interesting and informative book that I would highly recommend.
on 26 August 2004
This book is both funny and respectful without being ghoulish. The author delves into the world of cadavers and provides the reader with a fascinating insight into what happens to bodies donated for medical/forensic research. She tells how students respect the bodies they use for research, and shows that even those who deal with death and cadavers on a daily basis still react as most of us would. As the previous reviewer says, this book may change your mind about dontating your body to science but if you do decide to at least you can read about what is likely to happen!!!! Seriously though I did enjoy this book and would recommend it as a good read.
on 26 July 2003
Once you get past the uninspiring dust-jacket, this book is brilliant! Written in a very readable and unsensational way, this book will tell you all you want to know, and what you don't, about what happens to those who donate their bodies for medical research. The author has a very friendly and humerous way of looking at death, and its aftermath, but has a sensitive and understanding approach to the dead and those performing the research. I heard a review of 'Stiff' on Radio 4, bought the book from Amazon, and, once I started to read it, couldn't put it down!
on 15 September 2005
I know quite a few people have been put off this book due to its subject matter, but I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Mary Roach approaches the subject with great humour, whilst all the time remaining respectful of such a highly sensitive subject. One of the main I enjoyed about the book was how accessible she had made something which borders between science & medicine, meaning that anyone could pick up the book and clearly understand. Aditionally, the research has been carefully carried out and there are so many interesting facts in here I don't think I could bear to be parted from this book.