Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(3 star). See all 516 reviews
on 14 November 2014
Very complicated recipies which involve a load if things families like us don't keep in the cupboards
on 14 May 2010
This book was bought for me as a present and I would not have chosen it for myself. It is a lovely book where Jamie presents provincial Italian cooking to his readership. It's a great read but I haven't tried many of the recipes yet. Why is this? I don't know, maybe for me they seem too much like hard work. I have tried the artichoke and cannelini bruschettas (lovely) but otherwise there's a recipe with chickpeas that interests me but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

I haven't slung this book in the charity shop sack because I think that, while this book doesn't captivate me at present, it may prove to be a slow burner. The research and execution of this book are first rate (the photographs create a lovely backdrop to the provincial recipes) so it would seem criminal to disguard something with such potential.

If you are looking for an 'Italian'cookbook that shows you how to make bog standard pizzas and pasta, you will not like this (Jamie informs us that Italians don't make pizza: they go to the pizzeria). However, if you want to transport yourself to 'real' Italy then Jamie shows you a snapshot of this varied and regionally inspired cuisine.
on 22 October 2003
A completely different book from the previous ones. The previous three books are a collection of somehow provocative recipes that twist traditional dishes from Italy and France with some good results. They were a sort of college-friendly cookbooks, but with not much help for the basics.
This book is different. It gives hints and explainations for the basic cooking styles. It helps a beginner to improve his/her skills. It also provides some interesting recipes, which appear to be "cleaner" then in the past.
Buy it if you are a beginner or if you do not own the first two books. But if you look for refined cooking and good culinary tips (and you are able to spot cooking time errors) go for Ramsey's book instead.
on 10 October 2015
Bought as a present. The pictures are really nice and the recipes not too hard to do. The book was presented in a weird way though. I can't cook but I could still manage them.
on 10 May 2009
I'm used to watching Jamie on the tele and really love his cooking style, but I have to say that I was a bit let down by the recipes in this book... it could be just me but they really weren't what I was expecting!

I only ended up using about a handful of them, the rest of which... well just didn't catch my fancy really!

The book is good for picking ideas from here and there and maybe tweaking them to your own fancy. I've used the pizza recipe many times and a few others as well.

Not really what I expected.. but an OK book.
on 27 November 2010
There are some really nice recipes in the book, many of which are pretty easy to follow for any keen amateur chefs.

My only slight criticism is that there is a lot of padding too; lots of big double page photos of Jamie stuffing his face and being the mockney man-about-Italy. I though I'd bought a recipe book, not somebody else's holiday photo album!
on 10 September 2001
If you are about to buy your first Jamie Oliver book I would recommend one of his first two rather than this. Many of the recipes are similar to previous ones (but not as good), and if like me, you don't eat meat (but do eat fish) there isn't a great selection as nearly everything is wrapped in proscuito! If you just want to drool over Jamie however, it's a good book...
on 31 January 2013
There are some good recipes in this book, although I would of liked to see a few more pasta dishes. My book fell apart after a few days though, it just sort of fell apart in my hands.

I love Jamie Oliver and his recipes are brilliant but more choice would of been good
on 25 June 2016
Was a bit disappointed with this one. Have bought a few of Jamie's books recently and normally there are a few things I can't wait to cook but nothing really jumped out at me in this one. Is all a bit simple.
on 8 October 2015
Well worth a penny but I don't recommend the book for simple every day recipes.There are defiantly better books out there. I feel that this will sit on my shelf more than it will be used.