Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2013
I read this for a book group, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked it up; really glad I did though! It is subtly written and fascinating. I had to look up lots of the references, as I didn't know the artist or botanist who are 'characters' in this long poem. The translation seems excellent. What most surprised me, I think, was that it was funny! What a clever, clever man Sebald was!
on 4 June 2014
A pity we lost such a great writer so soon... his way of looking at the world is unique and intense
on 13 February 2013
Three prose poems concerning themes which Sebald has inquired into before and before his untimely death in a car crash. These are not easy to read and a second reading yields up greater insights. Great for Sebald fans
on 1 September 2013
A book that, at times, I was going to put down but because I had read others by him, I continued to read it. It was well written, but not one of the best for me.