Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

HALL OF FAMEon 15 December 2002
The quote that titles this review is written at the end of chapter one. It is a chapter that, were it to be isolated as a short story; it would make the final list for any awards in that category.

There is no book I can compare this to, but if you take the wisdom of "Tuesday's With Morrie" and the struggles and triumph of the human spirit of "Angela's Ashes", you begin to approach this book, the story of the life of Mr. George Dawson.

Mr. Dawson started school when he was 98 years old. He is now approaching 102 and continues to work for his High School Equivalency Degree. It is difficult to describe this man, as he has no peers who have shared his 102 year life. Four wives shared parts of his life, but Mr. Dawson continues to live after they all have passed away. Mr. Dawson does note that many women would like to marry him now, and he has not ruled the possibility out.

What is Mr. Dawson like? In the book he muses as to why people say everything tastes like chicken, as an example Rattlesnake. However no one ever says anything tastes like Rattlesnake. Mr. Dawson is not "like" anybody. He is unlike anyone you know, anyone you have read about, he is an original, one of a kind. Every day that his life advances he becomes more unique, more of a treasure.

The final chapters of this book are as dramatic as the first. Mr. Dawson has a decision to make, a decision that either will allow this book to become a reality, or for his life to remain kept only to those who have known him. To make this decision he relies upon advice his Father had given him as a young man. His Father followed this advice throughout his own 99 year life, and as Mr. Dawson states, "between my Father and I it worked for over 200 years".

This is an astonishing story of a man who lived every year of the 20th century, a bit of the 19th, and is now exploring the 21st.

The book tells a story that is remarkable, as the story it shares is of a life that has taken part in 3 centuries.

A book that will make your all-time favorite list!
on 15 June 2016
This book was rated as 'special' - and so it is! A fresh approach to life's difficulties - which puts almost anything you have to face in the shade. Uplifting and a remarkable life of a remarkable human being.
Ordered from The Book Depository as they have always given first rate service. Many thanks!
Sometimes, the people with the least in life actually have the most.

If you loved Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, you will enjoy Life Is So Good.

It is the inspiring and heart-warming memoir of George Dawson.

Who? I hear you ask.

George Dawson is a seemingly ordinary 101 year-old man. If you haven't read this book, you've probably never heard of him. That's a pity, because George is quite remarkable.

He was born into poverty in 1898, the grandson of slaves. He grew up in the deep south of America at a time when racial discrimination was rife. He never went to school and started working as a young boy to support his family. He worked on farms and in a sawmill and helped to build the railroads and the Mississippi River levees.

And he taught himself to read at the ripe old age of 98.

In Life Is So Good, George - with the assistance of Richard Glaubman - tells us his life story, provides an eyewitness account of 20th century America and shares pearls of wisdom he gathered along the way, most notably:

"Life is so good. I do believe it's getting better."

He's a glass half-full kind of guy.

This book is a great pick-me-up. I read it several years ago and I still think of George to this day. It demonstrates the power of the human spirit, the importance of focusing on the positive and left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Click on my profile above to find more of my recommended reads and visit my website to register for free email updates.
on 24 October 2008
What can I say about this book? It's wonderful, inspiring, heartwarming...need I go on?

It's not often that I go around recommending books, but I read this about 4 months ago and am still raving about it to anyone who'll listen.

Do yourself a favour and read it! Have some tissues ready and be prepared to have your day uplifted. If one day I can be half the person George Dawson was, I'll be very proud of myself!

A wonderful, wonderful man.
on 14 August 2010
This book reminds me of the film Forrest Gump. Here we have the life story of a man who faced various adversities throughout his life but seems to have always been able to look on the bright side. Despite all life throws at him he carries on and enjoys life - he is definitely one of life's great optimists. And to see how he even takes up learning to read at such a grand old age is inspirational.
This book really packs the feel good factor.
on 14 March 2013
I have to say this is one of the most touching and amazing books I have ever read.

What a remarkable man and what an inspiration. His spirit and strength of character are an example to everyone and it would be an amazing book to be included into any school syllabus.

You won't regret buying and reading this life, your life will be forever touched.
on 13 September 2012
I found when I was reading this book I could not put it down. I saw this man on the Oprah Winfrey show and that was why I felt I had to buy it and I am so glad I did. His stories were really interesting and written in such a way as you felt you were there with him. Highly recommend. I tried to get this book from other sources and could not get it anywhere else and the price was fantastic.
on 29 October 2013
A Brilliant book, I would recommend that very one read this one, very interesting. George Dawson lived a life of hard work. Even to death this man kept on trying, he even learnt to read at a ripe old age.
on 13 November 2015
Really nice book to read, a great reminder of all that is important in life....and all that isn't!
on 25 February 2015
Great Book so much so i bought second one for a friend