VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This CD is the unabridged audio reading by Sir Derek Jacobi of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes."

Jacobi is a master at this type of genre and he quite simply performs a marvellous job at reading all twelve stories which sequentially span ten discs.

The compelling and fascinating tales from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are classic stories which still hold their appeal today, and Jacobi skilfully manoeuvres his way through all the main characters and does not require any subtle orchestration or sound effects to capture the imagination and create excitement.

The stories which are undoubtedly well known to Sherlock Holmes fans are; A Scandal in Bohemia, The Red Headed League, A Case of Identity, The Boscombe Valley Mystery, The Five orange Pips, The Man with the Twisted Lip, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, The Adventure of the Engineers Thumb, The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor, The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet and The Adventure of the Copper Beeches.

It is a high quality BBC Audio production. The attractions of the CD, besides the superb story-telling, is it's versatility in terms of listening locations whether in the car, on an MP3 player, or in your favourite armchair.

It will hold your attention from the first minute to the last and is highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 January 2012
This was the first book I downloaded when I received my Kindle. My writing partner is constantly telling me about his love of the infamous, fictional, British super sleuth and I had intended on getting round to reading the stories for myself at some point.

Imagine my delight when I found both The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes The Return of Sherlock Holmes, available, free, for Kindle. However, this version has been interpreted to Kindle by volunteers, which explains why there is the occassional blip in text, particularly in the case of monetary values where strange symbols are used and look something like a software error (lost a star for that).

However the stories themselves are wonderful and quickly transport you back to London in the 1800s. Sherlock Holmes will forever stand the test of time in these classic and clever tales; told by Watson, Holmes long-standing friend and confidant.
on 16 April 2017
Bought for school use as needed to study four short Sherlock novels,only four stars awarded as on guide did not include a list of all stories included had to buy a separate book
on 16 January 2013
I brought the first Sherlock Holmes book, 'A Study in Scarlet' and i wanted to buy the rest, and this book is perfect, its got all the stories in, and its bound in a lovely Leather. It's going to look great on my bookshelf after I've read it!
on 26 May 2017
I could listen to Derek Jacobi's voice forever, just a lovely product and a great way of entertaining me in the car.
on 7 August 2017
I am sure another Sherlock Holmes book will keep me quiet for a day or two.
on 28 April 2016
Top book and all for free, you really need to download this and give it a try, hours of reading and you cannot go wrong, grab it now :)
on 26 April 2017
Love it. Although the middle picture on the cover isn't quite central and as a perfectionist this does bug me some. However I still do love it.
on 11 August 2017
The doyen of detectives
on 30 August 2015
My first purchase on the kindle, a classic of a book which takes me back to my GCSE days. WIll forever be part of my digital bookshelf