Customer reviews

on 10 April 2009
There is a good selection of poetry from John Keats here. It includes all the work you would expect in a collection from Keats and obviously all the Odes.

If you've never read any of Keats' poetry then this is a great place to start. He is without doubt one of the leading Romantic Poets and in my mind probably the best. He was a writer of great imagination and has had an effect on readers and writers to this day.
on 19 October 2003
I was introduced to the poetry of Keats as part of my A Level studies last year, and I found his poetry to be deeply powerful and insightful. I absolutely adore Keats' poetry, and his book is ideal for both fans and those who are unfamiliar with his work. Whatever your favourite element of his poetry, from his narratives or the odes, this book has a selection of all to be enjoyed.

Although it does not include any of the letters Keats is also known to have written, the volume of poetry makes up for this, and truly there are some wonderful choices made in the verse included. The reader is able to enjoy Keats' love of the fantastical, his heavily opiumed obsession with perfection and immortality of love, and the God and Goddesses he uses to illustrate his feelings on love, life and the constant battles he had against the 'Classical' poets of the time. The struggles between Classicalism and Romanticism hover behind several of the poems, as do his feeling about women and his own introspections on life and love. But don't be thinking this is all heavy going poetry, because to just be read without analysis is also to enjoy the beauty of his poems, as they are full of powerful visions of nature and colour and love. You can't help but enjoy them. Of course, they are going to appeal to you more strongly if you are of a Romantic nature yourself...if you are a hopeless Romantic, this is the book for you!
Since I first read this book, Keats has become my favourite poet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
on 21 December 2002
Penguins classics have never failed to be bad reproductions, or translations, and this collection of Keats poems is no exception. It includes my favourite Keats poems and good little biography to help me with my studies. All in all nice.
on 23 October 2014