on 5 December 2012
The book is a splendid way to read books by great Authors such as Rider Haggard and J.R.R.Tolkien. Of the films that portray King Solomon's Mines, the first one which starred Stewart Grainger and Deborah Kerr is by far the best and overshadows the version that starred Richard Chamberlain, Sharon Stone and Herbert Lom et al. Returning to the book, the descriptive narrative alone, is deserving of a commendation for its clear descriptive candour of the 'explorer's' clash with the Sangoma and the whole tribe before the chieftain's hut. If I could award ten stars I would - but you'll all have to make do with five! Hugo Shepherd
on 7 December 2014
King Solomon's Mines :) I first read it aged 10, sneaking into the dining room/library and reading a little at a time, I knew I was not allowed to touch special books (leather bound, gold edging to pages) but it was calling me. I Loved It! Magical. I wanted to be an explorer ha ha. Now in my 70's I again read and it still thrills me, wonderful book, takes me back over 60 years, the memory didn't tarnish. Never did get to be an explorer. :)
on 15 September 2013
I absolutely loved this book!
It's an epic African adventure, following a trio of travellers and their Zulu servant, as they try to find the brother of one of the group. The brother went to King Solomon's Mines several years ago, and was never seen again.
Whilst searching for him, the trio encounter angry elephants, curious lions, and an isolated civilisation of tribal warriors battling for a new king.
I would definitely recommend this book! It was everything a reader could possibly want in an epic adventure story.
on 11 October 2014
A well written adventure story that has obviously influenced many books and films since it was written, especially the Indiana Jones film series. A group of adventurers set off in pursuit of the treasures of King Solomon's mines. Along the way they endure hardship and numerous set-backs. Some sections of the story I found were a little drawn out with descriptive writing but it was worth sticking with until the story reaches its exciting climax.
on 22 August 2017
I first read this book when I was 12 and in first year at secondary school. At that time it was purely an adventure story. I am now 70 and I was angered by the way the hunt for lions and elephants was described in such a mercenary manner. Also the way the Africans were treated in such a colonial manner. I am older now and these things matter to me.
Still a damned good adventure story.
on 21 June 2017
WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY,AM NOW 74 YEARS OLD,RIDER HAGGARD WAS A MASTER OF TALES AND HE IS WELL WORTH A READ,IN MY CASE A RE READ
on 3 November 2014
One of the great advantages of having a kindle is to indulge in free classics that I would not of normally bought. This is an excellent book It had adventure by the buckets and was so well wrote, it was like going back in time I wa totally drawn into the book, I also downloaded the audio book on a audible So I could listen to it on my way to work and loved the whisper sync this is a must read and/or listen for any adventure book lover do not be put off by the age like I use to be!!!!!!!!!
on 10 May 2015
I certainly can't add anything of worth in reviewing such a classic so I will simply say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Brilliantly written, really transported me to another time and place. My usual fare is horror, the occasional thriller, so this was a very different beast for me. Glad I tackled it. Recommended.
on 22 August 2013
I've read this as a child and it is still the rip-roaring yarn I remember. They just don't write novels like these any more - adventure, danger, excitement and war coupled with humour and some amazingly vivid and descriptive writing. If you've never read the treasure that is King Solomon's Mines, why not give it a try - it is a very easy and well-paced read which will draw you into the book even from the first 10 pages.
on 17 October 2016
One of those books you feel you ought to have read and never have. Surprisingly graphic and violent, but a great adventure story, if a little long-winded at times.