Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 November 2006
I bought this for my six year old nephew and he absolutly loves it. How can you go wrong? Pirates AND Dinosaurs! The illustrations are great, full of gorgeous colour and detail and the rythum of the text ensures it is great fun to read. I had to go and buy a copy for myself when I saw how much my nephew was enjoying it and my sister has since told me that she has given it as a presant on several occasions and it has always been a great hit.
on 7 February 2006
I bought this for my three year old son after reading a newspaper review - he just loves it ! The story is simple but has challenge in it, includes all the elements of fantasy that any three to five year old boy loves - pirates, dinosaurs, dressing up with your firends, becoming captain of a ship, taking charge and battling with a huge T Rex. Unique illustrations are visually stimulating and offer a new way to look at familiar images eg Captain Stubble ( who is almost all stubble! ) and the great story with some little funny bits ( eg battling with the T Rex for "two hours and twenty five mintues" ) means that we currently have to read this every day. Love it and, more importantly, my sone loves it - very good quality book. Highly recommnded.
on 24 October 2005
I defy anyone who has a boy aged between 3 and 6 to walk past this cover without being hassled to death to buy on the spot-pirates and dinosaurs in the same book. I initially thought 'what a great marketing strategy' but that before I looked inside (Nasty Cynical Mummy)
It doesn't disappoint-great idea-fantastic story, wonderful illustrations.
Could I make a couple of suggestions for the next book: How about 'alien crocodiles' or 'dragon big digger drivers'or 'spaceman monkeys'.
In fact it doesn't matter what the next book is about-Giles Andreae writes a good story and has found the perfect match in Russell Ayto-time to give Donaldson and Scheffler a run for their money....
While there are a never ending stream of 'pink' stories for girls, it can sometimes be hard to find exciting books for boys that deliver everything they want without boring their parents to tears (see Thomas the Tank Engine). Here we have the perfect mix for all concerned.

Schoolboy Flinn and his mates discover a secret door into a magical world of pirates, treason on the high seas and pirates who are also bloodthirsty dinosaurs. The quality of the illustrations is high, bright, busy and yet well defined. It also has plenty of interest points for parents and kids to spot and talk about. The story is fast and furious, letting the kids imaginations run wild.

A great book, which my girls liked just as much as my boy. Highly recommended.
on 22 January 2007
What an excellent book. I read it to my 9 month old though in truth it's probably more for (say) 2 years old with more attention span as it's got a decent story length to it.

The story is good with all the right elements: an adventure, lots of dinosaurs with all their names, great pictures, really good text-art as well - makes VH Caterpillar's printing look antique! Entertaining details "much too much tomato ketchup". A great romp, I have given it to boys and girls who love it and demand to be read the story every night. Gender equality - 2 boys and girls go off on the adventure and the big hairy captain says he would prefer to be the cook. And of course a wholesome happy non-canabalistic ending including the childen's secret about what their adventure!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 March 2015
The first of two pirate dinosaur books I bought my 2 year old daughter and she loves them! She has a lot of both pirates and dinosaurs and has great fun pointing things out. The book can get a little hectic in places which can be a little distracting but at the same time, a very good tool for imaginative storytelling. The illustrations are bright and it's easy to put a lot of energy into the reading. In all a very good book for youngsters and a pleasure to read.
on 25 September 2011
The Captain Flinn series of books (I think there are 4 to date - Pirate Dinosaurs, Missing Treasure, Magic Cutlass, Smugglers Bay) are a huge hit in our house - of course if you have little boys, pirates AND dinosaurs in one book is invariably going to go down well! There are other characters, namely Flinn's friends Pearl, Tom & Violet, as well as frumpy Miss Pie the school teacher - I don't have girls, but if I did I think I would prefer to read this swashbuckling fun-nonsense at bedtime than any pink fairy drivel...!

My boys are 3.5 and 18 mths - the littlest likes to ROAR in the appropriate places, and the eldest just adores these stories. I find it hard to reconcile some of the negative reviews I have read, and the only reason I am writing this is because the reaction in our house is sublime! Indeed, I've had a brilliant round of "air-cutlass" with my boys this evening! Rather than being skeptical about the dinosaur-pirate combination, I think it is inspired.

The big bold drawings are a joy to look at, plenty of colour, and although the dino's may look a little fierce, they usually come unstuck and see the error of their naughty pirate ways!

Heartily recommended to all budding sea-dogs!
on 15 July 2009
The pictures in this book are wonderful, but the story is weak.
I have to say it's not a favourite of my 4 year old son he tends to loose interest by the end, and will not choose this book himself at bedtime.
I feel that there is a concept here, but its almost like the author took things he knew little boys would favor - like pirates and dinosaurs then tried to create a story around them - which didn't really come off.
However, like I said above the artwork is brilliant, if the book is lacking in story it makes up for it by certainly being very visual.
on 13 May 2008
If your little boy is as boyish as they come - he will absolutely adore this book.

The combination of pirate and dinosaur - the two favourites for many little boys - is inspirational. My 4 year old wont put this book down. If your boy is obsessed by T-Rex's and pirates then this book will be an incredible hit. Its not often I come across books that are so atune to my children's interests and imagination. An absolute must have - I just wish I had got it when he was 3 so he could have enjoyed it all the sooner!
on 2 November 2016
Where to start... Why is there a pirate in the cupboard? Why did the pirate not notice that the pirates were dinosaurs? What are Flynn's friends doing in the cupboard? The back falls off the cupboard and they're in a harbour. Of course! And there's an empty pirate ship there. How convenient! Then the pirate gives the children knives, swords, etc. Not very safe. Then a small child has a fight with an enormous dinosaur and who wins? They get back to school some time late and have the police been called about the missing children, the hole in the back of the cupboard, and the missing ship?