Customer reviews

One to Ten and Back Again (Picture Puffin)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2011
We bought this book as we kept getting it out of the library and it was such a winner with our two-year-old twins! Both love the colourful illustrations and frequently ask for 'Sue and Nick' to be read to them.

It has made counting fun, and both children will now happily count to ten with or without the book. Highly recommended.
on 29 March 2016
Loved by my grand daughter
on 18 September 2013
This book has beautiful pictures with bright colours and high contrast. I bought it for my 20 month old son and he loves it! he points at the pictures as I count them along...
on 28 April 2009
This review is for the hardcover PUFFIN version, from 2004.

From the back cover:-

'Start with one boy called Nick,
and add one girl called Sue,
then count all the way to ten cakes for tea!

Join award-winning best friends, Sue Heap and Nick Sharratt, on a bright and exciting counting journey from one to ten and all the way back again.'

Starting with a cheery wave, one boy called Nick and one girl called Sue take us through the numbers one to ten, then backwards to one!

Colourful covers have the duo in a sea theme and opens to 30 high quality pages, superbly illustrated in vibrant colours, with a variety of scenes and nouns.

Bold, easy-to-follow and read-along-with text, occasionally rhyming (or close to!) in the front half.

Example of text:-

'One boy called Nick,
One girl called Sue,
Two woolly gloves,
Two shiny shoes.

Three round buttons,
Four bright bows,
Five pink pigs,
Six sheep in a row........'

The backward countdown is simply nouns, e.g.:-

'Ten oranges,
Nine lemons,
Eight crayons,
Seven pens......'

.....and when we get to when the story ends........with
'One yellow moon....
...we get a hundred stars, to illustrate the night-time sky!

The book finishes with a two page spread - one in blue, (ascending) and one in pink (descending) with the relevant numbers and pictures from the story, which is an added bonus.

Generally, I think that the book could have been further enhanced with the digits also being printed on the relevant pages throughout.....to repeat and encourage recognition skills.
However it does offer the chance of trying to remember and write the number down - before you see it - which is how I use this particular book with older children, at times.

Other books in this 'first' series include, my particular favourite:-

Alphabet Ice Cream (Aa-Zz)

along with:-

Red Rockets and Rainbow Jelly (Colours)
Faster, Faster, Nice and Slow (Opposites)
review imagereview imagereview image