on 4 April 2016
Excellent book for my friend's daughter - I had this when I was younger, in fact I may, ahem, still have it! My 14 month old likes it too as I'm just beginning the process of reading it to him, as I had it read to me! The repetitive 'rumpata rumpata rumpata all down the road' is great fun to do with a child and they get really involved in the book. You can exaggerate the list of people chasing after the elephant and the bad baby as it gets longer. I also aim to use this book as my Grandpa did with me, and get my son to point out things such as 'where are the oranges?' and 'can you see the jar with the stripey sweets in?'; it may be a little old fashioned now, but for nostalgia I love this book and I don't think I will EVER grow tired of it, it conjures up fab memories for me, and hopefully will do for my little boy in the future too.
on 3 January 2007
The strong repetitive language and rhythm of the text is great for young children learning to read, or the very young learning to speak and understand that stories in books remain the same. This is a cummulative tale, where the list of characters chasing the elephant grows longer and longer as the book goes on, so it stimulates the memory and allows children to make predictions. It also teaches children a simple structure for stories and ends with a moral. A great book for pre-schoolers, I have been reading this at bedtime to my 10 month old son and we particularly enjoy bouncing up and down to the 'rumpeta, rumpeta's' and usually add in a few extra ones, just for the fun of it.
on 16 September 2015
My grandson now knows this by heart which is an important stage in learning to read. He loves it and 'read' it to his nursery class - really impressed the teacher until we let the cat out of the bag and told her he knew it off by heart!
on 5 December 2008
'The Elephant and the bad baby' a story that enforces the need to say 'please' when offered something. The elephant takes the bad baby on a shop lifting spree through the local shops and ends up being chased by the owners. The climax of the story is the realisation the baby never once said please. The out-raged shop owners are more dismayed by this then the fact they have been stolen from.

The number of shops in the book will charm children as half of them no longer exist.
on 14 September 2012
This book was first enjoyed by my youngest son over twenty five years ago. Is now being enjoyed with a new copy from Amazon by young children who are in my care as Foster carers.

The repitition through the story of the antics involving the elephant and baby going from shop to shop is amusing. The children love to try and recall each charactor and shop.

This new copy is in board as the other one we had was in paperback and has been loved a bit too much over the years.
A good book to read with little ones over and over and over.
on 24 December 2013
Absolutely love this book and we've read it over and over again. Best to read it with child on knee so you can bounce child up & down when the elephant is running away going 'rumpety rump'! My little grandson has loved it from age of 2ys.

Story is about an elephant who befriends a baby and takes it for a ride stopping at various shops on the way picking up treats. Lots of repetitive language and fun with shopkeepers following to retrieve the things taken by the elephant until they all realise the baby has no manners and has not said 'thankyou!' All ends up happily with them all having tea with baby and his mummy and remembering their manners and say 'thank you!'
on 23 April 2015
I bought this book to read to my three year old great grand daughter knowing how much my grand children had enjoyed it twenty something years ago. The appeal is still there. It's a classic with repetitive lines to join in with and illustrations full of talking points and it has a moral too. I thoroughly recommend this book for three to five year old - and parents too, which is important when the reaction you get is 'Again, again.
on 20 August 2013
this is a story I had as a child and I know there are some negative comments about it but you know what its great! It tells you that you need to say please! other children's books have no point or moral and some are just weird. this one is fun and I remember it from my childhood and so my child will experience the elephant and the baby too :)
on 14 April 2016
One of the most read books in our household. This one was bought to replace the copy I had when I was a little and has proved just as popular with another generation.
on 17 February 2018