Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 July 2001
I bought this one for my 5-year-old daughter's bed time stories. I think I like it more than her. The pirate mother insists that her son take her to the sea. En route, the son (a normal brown-suited accountant) discovers his own inner love of the sea, and finally joins the mother on a passing pirate ship. Well illustrated, marvellously told by Mahy, and just a delight. A snip at the price here, to boot.
on 7 March 2003
This is the favourite story of all time I read to my two children who are now 21 and 19 years old.
I am originally from Queensland, Australia where I grew up going to the beach and swimming in the sea every week-end. My holidays were always at the sea-side and the sea and the beach were the only things I missed about my homeland when I left to live in Brunei after marriage.
My children didn't know the sea, didn't know how to surf and this book captured everything I felt and knew about the sea and its magic.............the poetic imagery excited the curiosity of both my son and daughter .For the first time they could understand my love of the sea.
" the drift and the dream of it, the weave and the wave of it, the fume and the foam of it never left him again " said the pin-striped wearing son of the pirate mother !
I also loved the use of the pirate mother.....an adventurer and someone I could rather identify with myself. Perhaps it also reminds us all not to take life so seriously and that in all of us ther is a Pirate Mother within!
For a mother or father reading to their children at night it's so refreshing to find a story for both parent and child.
Mr. Fat the City Boss is also there to remind us all of the blinkered vision of those caught up in the material world - not realising we've found ourselves trapped in a prison by forgetting the simple wonders of life like the sea.
The philospher is a comforting inclusion to remind us further that not everything will be as it seems.
It is a wonderful journey of the mind to read this book and I wish more children's story books were like it !
I now refer to myself as "the Pirate Mother " and try hard not to forget the lessons learnt from this wonderful tale.
on 26 September 2005
Like many of Margaret Mahy's books this books is a treasure to brighten your life. Other reviewers have said most succinctly why, so I'll confine myself to saying that truly this is a book that you will look forward to reading to your child and your child will love too.
on 16 August 2012
This is a wonderful for children aged 7 to 11. Good book for teachers to use in school and a source book for a literacy unit on Hamilton Trust's website
on 13 July 2012
We love this book. It is beautifully writen, lovely language and rhythm. The illustrations are colourful and fun - unfortunately my son thought the pirate mother looked just like his Grandma! A perfect book for both genders, a gentle story that carries us on a journey. Ultimately we learn there is more to life than just working. Many of my children's friends have received this book for their Birthdays.
on 6 September 2015
I am dismayed, nay heart broken, to find that the original version of this book is out of print. It's the most wonderful tale, beautifully told and illustrated, full of humour and life-affirming truths. It should be compulsory reading for every child - and adult!
on 15 February 2012
The illustrations are perfect for this delightful story of the Pirate Mother's passion for the ocean! The straight-laced accountant son is stuck in a rut at work, and decides to set off with his former-pirate mother! A fun read for children and adults!
on 15 July 2013
I am so saddened by Margaret Mahy's passing. I hope that families remember her books. This one is typical; a rollicking good read, with superb language and lots of adventure, a grin-making treat.
on 11 January 2011
Great book by a memorable kiwi author, despite the snow creating havoc with the postal system the book arrived in good time which shows prompt delivery.
on 27 August 2013
Very pleased with the story and illustrations. Book condition was less good than I had expected- cover a bit bashed.