on 3 July 2016
If you are about to or study geology this is just what you need. I'll keep mine forever. During my undergraduate this was invaluable.
on 7 February 2016
Good for a first and basic dictionary, but as you progress you might find yourself needing something a little more detailed.
on 29 July 2017
I have not used it much yet but seems what I want.
on 2 June 2005
this is an extrememly helpful book although it does tend to go into a lot of detail which is sometimes confusing as I am studying AS geology at present! It would be more helpful with diagrams to explain but it brilliant all the same.
on 1 July 2002
This is an excellent book - essential for quick referencing of terms and expressions used in the field of geology. The title does not aim to be exhaustive - its aim is to give definition to 99% of popular terminology used by Earth Science students.
The format is clear and helpful, the cross-referencing being of particular use.
Advanced readers will also find the access to terminology beyond their usual field of specialisation, most useful. Typically a postgraduate will have specialists texts for his or her field of study, but lack a book that covers the broader fields of geology and geophysics.
The definitions are concise and to the point, and are not limited to strictly geological terms. "Cross-over" words, used for example in biology, geography or physics, as well as geology are included.
I have found this book most helpful in my postgraduate research and would recommend this text to any undergraduate or postgraduate student as a cost effective, quick reference guide.
on 7 December 2010
I found it difficult to retain the vocabulary of geology and had to keep referring back to texts. I personally find this dictionary very helpful. It appears to be very complete and comprehensive, at least for my amateur purposes.
on 15 March 2010
I have used this book quite a lot recently. It fulfills all my requirements and is very staright forward to use
on 9 November 2013
More like a concise encyclopedia this book covers most terms you are going to come across in geology books + it is cross referenced internally to explain or expand on a subject. Unlike a previous dictionary by Penguin, Physical geography, there are no illustrations - my only criticism.
on 9 November 2010
This book should be with all undergraduates. It is useful when grasping new topics or reading articles. It has aided me greatly and wish I got hold of it for my first year.
on 15 May 2016
My lecturer told us to get these, it is useful and written with good explanations and quite thin so easy to carry to lectures. It gives a more accurate information than just using the internet. 4* because there are some words I thought that should be in there that were not.