Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

This dictionary does exactly what it says: it gives plenty of synonyms for English words, suggesting when they are informal in usage. Where it is less strong is on antonyms, usually offering one at the most. In this it is less thorough than ths slightly larger Oxford version which also has useful alphabetical marks down the side to make finding a word easier. The Penguin gives, for example, under "tight" fourteen synonyms for the usual sense and its opposite "loose", six for miserly with money and the opposite "generous", four more for the sense of sealed but no antonyms and five for the informal use meaning drunk with the opposite "sober". My guess is that most people want synonyms but, if that is not your case, I'd go for the Oxford.
on 19 December 2016
text content is fine. Regrettably the quality of stock used for the cover paper is way too flimsy. For a book destined for frequent use this is a poor design decision.
on 8 August 2017
I'm happy with the goods I bought, it's what I expected
on 28 October 2015
Good
on 20 August 2017
very nice
on 12 August 2013
Useful and easy to use reference, good for quick referrals but you still need a thesaurus in your life. Yes you do. I live alone and often feel the need to argue with myself so this book is indispensable to me. Although sometimes it's dispensable. (You see, you do need a Thesaurus)
on 29 May 2011
I bought this book for a Hungarian friend who wants to improve her English; she has found it useful for expanding her vocabulary and I have also enjoyed browsing. I would recommend this book for anyone (English speaker or foreign learner)who wishes to enlarge their vocabulary.
on 12 June 2011
Great book for helping me do my crosswords. Excellent price - and delivered promptly and free of charge by Amazon.
on 25 June 2013
This is a great family resource. I bought this book to help with my poetry writing but my wife took possession of it to write her dissertation! The boys also find it very useful (one writes short stories, the other writes poetry). To avoid conflict over this very useful resource, I ordered for another copy.

I recommend this book to anyone who does any kind of writing! And that's practically everyone!
on 10 November 2014
A very well received present.